Monday, July 22, 2013

Top Ten Words/Topics/Looks That Are No-Nos

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the fab ladies at The Broke and the Bookish!

Top Ten Words/Topics/Looks
That Discourage Me From
Picking It Up

Obviously, this is a sweeping statement kind of topic. Of course there are exceptions to these - hell, there are so many that I've even linked you to some! But generally, these are the words/topics/looks that make me scrunch my nose and hesitate before I pick it up.

1. Religion/Faith
*Example Exception: Back When You Were Easier to Love by Emily Wing Smith

2. Triangle

3. Time Travel
8Example Exceptions: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone

4. Forbidden

5. Fae and/or Vampires
*Example Exception: all Shadowhunter books by Cassie Clare.

6. Non-Fiction
*Example Exception: Anything by Mike Sager.

7. Zombies
*Example Exception: Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

8. Steampunk

9. Titles Written in Bubble Letters
Because I am not 9 years old.

10. Covers that are a bright green.
I don't know why. I just really don't like the colour.
Yes, I am aware how unfair this one is haha.

11. Blurbs that call it "the next Hunger Games."
Because I've found every book to say that a liar.

Which words get a reaction from you?
Leave your link and I'll hop by!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! We share a number of the same! I've seen zombies and vampires on quite a number of lists this week. I love your pick of "Titles Written in Bubble Letters" :-)

    http://www.fabbityfabbookreviews.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-wordstopics-that-make.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Blurbs that call it "the next Hunger Games." Because I've found every book to say that a liar."

    Thank you for giving words to my thoughts! Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, your 9 and 10 are perfection! Nice to know that I'm not the only one super particular about my cover choice. And your number 11 is spectacular, as well! I had blurbs about "the next big thing" on my list, too... can't these new stories just stand for themselves, without dragging the likes of Harry Potter or The Hunger Games down to their level? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I stayed away from most of those, except my book is dark green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steampunk wouldn't be high on my reading list either. I'm not quite over zombie books but I'm sure that is bc I just haven't read a ton of them. I hate triangles too. :( ~kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at #9.

    Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Religion books aren't really my thing either. I tired, but I just couldn't finish the book.
    Bright green covers sound like a nightmare. :P
    Awesome list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. 9 made me laugh and I'm so there with you on 11!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!