Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Review: Wait For You by J. Lynn (ARC)

Wait For You by J. Lynn (Jennifer L. Armentrout)
Harper Collins, 336 pages
Expected US Release Date: September 3, 2013
Format/Source: ARC, via Around the World Tours
- thank you!
Challenges: SARC 2013, New Adult Challenge

Some things are worth waiting for…

Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago—an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe—please God—make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn’t need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing…

Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that’s just so… so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed.

Some things should never be kept quiet…

But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she’s has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?

And some things are worth fighting for…
-------------------------------------Goodreads summary

Notable Quote
Two bright spots appeared in her cheeks as she tossed her blonde hair back. “What? I’m not asahamed to admit that random things remind me of Harry Potter.”
“That guy over there reminds me of Snape,” Cam said, jerking his chin to the table behind us. “So I understand.”
I’ve never read any books by Jennifer L. Armentrout (or J. Lynn, as she’s writing a few now), but I’ve certainly heard about them. The words “hot”, “sexy”,  and “HOT!” are usually in there. So now that I’ve read something by her?

Damn, yo. That girl can write some hot, sexy pages. Woo! *fans self*

Truth be told, I’m not entirely blown away, but I can damn sure appreciate what that woman can do with words. Her narrative somehow makes it sweet and sexy all at once, where I want to cuddle with the words as much as I want to rip Cam’s clothing off.  This is very much a New Adult, and a new adult novel done quite well.

The part that I’m not blown away with though is the story itself – it’s pretty typical. I know what’s going to happen. Just reading the summary will pretty much tell you all there is to know, and it never surprises you from there. Sometimes that’s good – and this novel does the typical well! – but it’s also a little…meh. Sometimes I’d like just a line or something that makes me go “Oh, didn’t see that coming!” Unfortunately, that never happened with Wait For You.

Doesn’t mean I didn’t love reading it though. I don’t really like Avery much – and it’s not that I dislike her, I just don’t like her. Neutrality. She’s fine, but I didn’t find her particularly special or appealing. Everything about her does make sense though, and that I appreciate – she’s gone through a lot of traumas, and her parents SUCK MAJOR ASS (that’s the nicest I could really put it), and I really appreciate that her character personality follows through with her story.

My neutrality about Avery is deeeeefinitely leveled out by my love for Cameron Hamilton though – oh MAN. Sure, he’s perhaps just a little too perfect (even his backstory is just a little too perfect), but he’s just perfect so WELL. He’s cute and funny and charming and sensual and if there ever existed a man like him, I think the women of the world would die of swoonage. Can he please just pop out of thin air and call me sweetheart? Just once. That’s really all I ask.

For being a 500 page book**, I read it shockingly fast – sure that could have to do with the typeset and the spacing being large enough for my grandma to read it without glasses, but still – it’s a quick read that makes you feel several things (in your heart and…other parts). Even though I said I wasn’t blown away by it, you can bet your pretty little buttons that I’m going to read her other works now, too.

3.5 Stars
**the ARC I’ve read is 500 pages. According to the cover copy, the final form will actually be 336 pages.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read her books too but I heard good reviews. :)

    Arra
    Style Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read new adult, but you make me want to check this book out. But how does a book go from 500 pages to 336!? I'm feeling intimidated by big books at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read her YA stuff but I haven't ventured into her NA stuff yet. I think I'm going to have to change that very soon. I have an ARC of this one and I love me some steamy NA. Haha. While I have a feeling the story will be predictable to me too, I'll still read it. Great review!

    Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!