Monday, August 27, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Confessions

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

I love this week's topic, because I had a draft post called How I'm A Bad Reader - so I decided to shove those into this post!

Top Ten Bookish Confessions
Don't hate me. I'm aware these are horrible.

1. If I really love a book, I stop reading it when I get near the end or to a particularly tense, eventful moment. I love it so much, I don't want it to end or to go through that emotional turmoil. I know, ridiculous - if I love it, I should want to devour it! But I just stop. For days. Which is why For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund took me a week to read (I couldn't. I just couldn't.), and why I have literally been reading Throne of Glass for a month. I don't want it to end! I can't!

2. I rarely read chapter breaks/titles. I don't know why, but I tend to not see them. I've tried to break the habit because they're such fabulous elements to a story, but it's difficult. From What I Remember by Stacy Kramer + Valerie Wilson was one book where I definitely tried hard, because fun movie quotes precede every chapter!

3. Following an author on Twitter has made me not want to read his/her book. No, I will not name the name(s). Conversely, however, following authors has also made me push their books higher on my TBR List. Most recently, Dan Krokos' False Memory. I've heard great things so I wanted to read it anyway, but after this tweet...I'm kind of in love with him, and now must read this book as fast as possible. (Number two on the wait list at my library!)

4. I purposely leave John Green's The Fault in Our Stars out of favourite/best of lists. That book is an emotion, it is an experience, and I don't believe I could ever rate it.

5. I tend not to read series until they're done, because I'm horrifically impatient. A few series I have not started: Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, Graceling by Kristen Cashore. I didn't read The Hunger Games until Mockingjay was released, and I am so glad I did that - no way could I have waited! And I didn't know The Mortal Instruments was still going when I picked it up all those years ago, else you can bet your buttons I wouldn't have started it yet!

6. I leave books in humid places. Hello wrinkly pages! I also put books in my purse. I know it risks damaging the corners or spine, but it's just too convenient!

7. I have a major pet peeve regarding bookish tweets: when people are pimping their review with a quote from their writing, and it goes something like "A stellar cast of characters and an even better plotline...i highly recommend!" If you're saying the book is so amazing and stellar already, isn't it implied you recommend it?! It feels like a waste of characters, and when there's only 140...it's precious space. I'm aware I'm being irrationally harsh.

8. I still haven't read Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I KNOW.

9. I've only read 2 ARCs from ALA. (Three as soon as I finally finish Throne of Glass.) I know! I'm terrible! But I have leant out 17 of them to fellow readers/bloggers, so there's that.

10. I leave post-its on my favourite passages in library books. While not necessarily a bad thing, I always feel like I'm kind of spoiling it for the next reader by pointing out great quotes - but I can't help it! I write little notes on the post-it too, usually something that goes along with the words or something encouraging. Should I stop that? Would you hate that if you were a reader?

Ah, I feel a weight taken off my shoulders!
What are your bookish confessions?
Leave your link and I'll hop by!

PS. Have you entered my awesome giveaways yet?
> Follower Appreciation: THE DIVINERS, LEGEND, or THRONE OF GLASS for the US followers, and any book from the TBD for Internationals!
> Finished paperback of Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins, open WORLDWIDE!

16 comments:

  1. I think that is so cute that you point out the good quotes in library books!! I would love it!

    I also prefer to read series after all the books are published.... I started Harry Potter when the first 5 were out and had to wait YEARS for the rest, not cool!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you would love it, that makes me feel better! I just honestly love some of the quotes so much that I can't not leave a little of myself behind for the next readers. And I started HP after the first 4 were out, definitely torture! I did not like that waiting at all.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this list! I've been trying to come up with 10 bookish confessions and it's just so hard, but your list is awesome. And I agree with #3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult to come up with ten! I only had 6 on my original list, and i scrapped 2 of them...I feel like some of these aren't really "confessions", but creative freedom haha. Can't wait to read your list!

      Delete
  3. I stop reading when a book gets really good as well! It's about drawing out the experience. Most recently did that with Tigers in Red Weather by Lisa Klaussman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, interesting list! I especially find #1 & #2 intriguing. And #8? :O Read Anna, stat, it is brilliant ;) I'm sure you'll ADORE it. Etienne! ;hearts&

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list.
    No. 2. I too tend to skip over chapter headings, but I do read beginning quotations because they often have a bearing on the story.
    No. 5. I know that one. It doesn't matter so much when I am buying the books as they come out, but when they're books I know I will not want to keep and therefore rely on the library to read, I wait for the series to be finished before I go after them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your list:) I also stop to read sometimes, if I think the book is very nice that I did not want it to end. Then sometimes I read the end but enjoying myself with it several times. As in Vampire academy last book I read it at least five times:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list. :) And I purposely carry a big purse so that I can carry big books around. And Anna... I am so sad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate reading a series that is still going on. I don't like to wait, but I had to start Divergent and it's sooooo good :D I believe it's worth the wait. I also haven't read Anna yet :)

    My top 10 Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kind of want to leave notes in books! Little post-its. I love when I find things in my books from the previous reader! It's exciting in a way lol.
    I love the post about Dan Krokos! I get to meet him on Thurs! yay!
    Great list!! And I still haven't read Anna & the French Kiss either. I'm just behind in general on books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    I just came across your site and it is really lovely! I happily followed you and will enjoy reading your updates. You can find me over at Rainy Day Reads, www.rainydayreads.com It would be great if you could stop by and I would love to have a fellow book lover as a new follower.
    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I'm reading a book and something particularly emotional happens, I often have to step away from it. I tend to get riled up/pained/excited/sad really easily while I read, so doing that helps me feel better about what I'm reading/just read.

    I carry books around in my purse all the time too because it's much easier! I'm trying to make it a habit to have a "book bag" these days though.

    And you MUST read Anna. MUST.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to end up with books in my bag! I also know what you mean about series, but I'm too impatient not to read them!

    Great list!

    My TTT this week

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel the same way about a series. If I know that the book is part of a series, I like to wait until at least the second one is out before I start it. The one exception was The Jessica Darling Series. I started it when it was first published and had to wait 10 years to see how it all played out. It was totally worth it. I love that series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your list, Ashley! My husband is the same as you with series. He reads my books all the time and he's read so many that are series that aren't finished and now he's like, "Okay, what books aren't series, or the series is finished?" I understand, but some series just sound so good I have to read them right away! But it is horrible to have to wait...

    Read Anna and the French Kiss already! Just do it! :D

    And I think I'd love it if I found a library book with post-its in it! I'd feel like I had some kind of special connection with another book lover! I say keep doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!