Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Review: Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook (ARC)

Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook
HarperTeen, 304 pages
Expected US Release Date: January 29, 2013
Format: print ARC
Source: DAC ARC Tours - thank you so much!
Challenges: 2013 Debut Author Challenge, Contemporary Challenge


Bonnie and Clyde meets IF I STAY in this addictively heart-wrenching story of two desperate teenagers on the run from their pasts.

They’re young. They’re in love. They’re on the run.

Zoe wants to save Will as much as Will wants to save Zoe. When Will turns eighteen, they decide to run away together. But they never expected their escape to be so fraught with danger....

When the whole world is after you, sometimes it seems like you can’t run fast enough.

Nobody But Us, told in alternating perspectives from Will and Zoe, is an unflinching novel, in turns heartbreaking and hopeful, about survival, choices, and love...and how having love doesn’t always mean that you get a happy ending. Described as “beautiful, heartbreaking, and exhilarating” by Kody Keplinger, author of The DUFF, Nobody But Us will prove irresistible to fans of Nina Lacour, Jenny Han, and Sara Zarr.
--------------------Goodreads summary

Notable Quote
My body feels urgent. The chaos we've created makes me need her more. The things we been doing, the distractions, they make me forget how right we feel when it's just us. When the world ain't creeping in. This is the perfect we been aiming for.
Can I make a quick note on the cover? While I do like it and the pose and it actually really does fit the tone of the novel itself - the two models? Definitely not how I picture Will and Zoe. Maaaaybe Zoe, but Will? Not at all. I wouldn't really put Will in a picnic checkerboard shirt. He's definitely more...leather jacket, aviators and hair he's got to flick out of his face. To me, anyway.

Moving along!

You guys, this book is absolutely heartbreaking. And completely filled with a devotional love that truly fits the situation. Usually this kind of love between two characters is tinged by an obsessiveness that's disturbing, or seems so fragile - but not so with Nobody But Us. The love between Will and Zoe is true and real and I never once doubted it. They are a couple I utterly believe in. Perhaps my favourite thing about this novel was watching this love that already existed really mature and change and shape itself into something stronger and filled with a depth that I don't think I've found in many YA books before. It's marvelous to read about, truly.

I also really enjoyed the dual narrative - which doesn't say much really, since I'm all about the dual narratives - but this is done really well. Both Zoe and Will have a very distinct tone to them, and the writing is fantastic. In some books, I have to read the chapter headings to know whose head I'm in, but definitely not with this one - every word is very clear to whom it belongs.

Quite obviously, there are some really strong elements to this book. I adored those. Absolutely. Unfortunately, there were a few things I wasn't entirely too crazy about, too. For one, the general movement of the book is very...slow. I think I just didn't have enough outside details to their road trip to really anchor me in time, but a lot of the book was just them driving. And thinking, or having small conversations, or lots of thoughts about how much they love the other...which is cute, yes, but doesn't really help much in terms of a plotline. There are certain scenes of action and tension (oh, some very tense scenes!), but they were very few and farbetween.

And while I loved Will and Zoe together, I'm not certain I love them individually. I never really connected with either of them, and I actually felt like they were a bit...underdeveloped. We know so little about them, other than why they're in this situation and running away together, and that bothers me. I love getting to know characters, and I wish they had gotten to know a little more about the other so I could have, too.

Still, this was a fantastic read. I was so invested in their journey and what would happen to them, and it just broke my heart at how fast it goes out of control. They've already had such crummy lives, and then when it seems to take a turn for the worse...I just couldn't. I wanted to hug them both to my chest and protect them forever. And the ending?! I mean...I can't...but I just...*sigh*

3.5 Stars

7 comments:

  1. I recently won a copy of this. I was really excited to read it because the cover really drew me in. Sad to hear it isn't how you pictured the characters though. This was a fantastic review, I can't wait to see how I feel about this one!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't found a copy of this book yet I was so intrigue about it until I found your review about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was one that I was majorly anticipating! But now, reading how there's a lack of development in story and character, I'm not in such a rush... I think I may still read it, but probably not soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you touched on the lack of obsessiveness... I am always disturbed when it appears and that was something I was worried about with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I skimmed because I have a copy of this waiting to be reviewed BUT I am glad to see a review that SEEMS to be more in the affirmative than the negative because so far I have only seen the latter. Nothing like starting a book w/ low expectations, you know?;) I'll be back to read this after I read my copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, there were things I loved about this book and then things I didn't love so much. The pacing was my biggest issue as well. For such a short book it took me quite a while to read it since it was so slow. I totally was heartbroken by this book too though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read mixed reviews for this book and whilst I think it sounds interesting, I'm not sure I would like to read it if the characters are hard to connect with. Also, it sounds like it may be a little slow moving which isn't what I would have expected from the synopsis.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!