Monday, September 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books To Make You Think


Top Ten Books
That Make You Think

1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
(read my review here!)
I feel this is fairly obvious.

2. The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Honestly, it's been awhile since I read this book, but I remember reading it when I was in my early teens and getting that feeling that I was finally seeing something real about life. And just that one famous line "and in that moment, I swear we were infinite" always makes me think.

3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
This will forever be my favourite book, because it spoke to me so much when I first read it...I was 7, I think! And every time I reread it now, I learn more. It's one of those books that makes me consider my family, my role in life, trajectory, the big picture. To this day I liken myself to Josephine March, and I'm happy with that thought.

4. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
(read my review here!)
It's hard to describe how and why this one made me think, but just know that I felt like my heart was on the page. Jandy Nelson's writing and poetry felt like a direct link from my head to my soul to the page, and it was terrifying and glorious all at once. If ever a book to make me consider love, in all its capacities and abilities, it is this one.

5. Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
(read my review here!)
This book literally made me have a panic attack because so many of the feelings, thoughts and emotions were ones I recognized. Especially the parts about abandoning your art...there were so many lines that made me really think about my life and those integral years of growing up, and it was actually kind of tough to see it all there. Those are private fears and insecurities, and there they were, laid bare for anyone to read...

6. Personal Effects by EM Kokie & Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
(respective reviews here and here.)
Kinda fitting that this makes the list on 9/11, but it's true - so many facets to military life, and these expose such raw parts of them. They're both entirely different even though they are in the same realm, and I can't recommend either enough. They're brilliant and important. (I also have If I Lie by Corrine Jackson queued up to read next week, and I highly suspect it will make this list, too...)

7. The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
(read my review here!)
I know, an adult book! GASP! But really, this was a fascinating read. It focuses on the world when the earth's rotation slows down, and it actually kind of freaked me out because it all felt so entirely real. I still think that this could really happen, and it really makes me think about how we live our lives and just how much daylight, night time, and seasons dictate our lives.

8. Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins
(read my interview with the author here!)
I'm currently in the middle of reading this, and while it's far from my favourite read, it is absolutely riveting to read about the Amish culture. Every page I feel like I learn something new about the Amish, and I am blown away at the radical differences. Plus, if you saw my status update on Goodreads...yeah, the Amish would definitely frown on me. I mean, the girls aren't supposed to make eye contact with men unless they're courting! I broke that when I was like...a day old, probably. And most certainly I break that nowadays!

9. Ten by Gretchen McNeil
Not for some big life altering reason, but because I was thinking so hard while reading about who the killer was! My review will be going up later this week, but know that I was kept guessing to the very end - and I was still wrong.

10. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
I talk about this series often, because it is my favourite EVER. Literally, ever. Even before The Hunger Games and Across the Universe. I read The Golden Compass when I was 8, and I remember reading it and being in absolute awe of the world I was suddenly thrown into - not only is it a brilliant novel with fantastic writing and an original story, but it was completely invigorating to me as a creative writer. This was probably the first novel I ever read that made the world feel limitless, like I could create anything and everything I ever dreamt about. It is a book that I will discover new facets to every time I pick it up. (Haven't read it yet? I demand you do! And my friend Andrea at The Overstuffed Bookcase and Jess from The Daily Bookmark are having a read along of it right now! It's not too late to join!)

What books make you think?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!

PS. Don't forget to enter my follower appreciation giveaway - ends Thursday! FIVE winners, one of which is international!

14 comments:

  1. The Fault In Our Stars is definitely one that'll make you think. Great list! :)

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    Just to let you know I've nominated you for the One Lovely Blogger Award! My post can be found here: http://rinnreads.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/one-lovely-blogger-award.html =)
    Rinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Sky Is Everywhere. I'm really looking forward to Personal Effects and I love TFIOS and His Dark Materials. I want to read Wanderlove, but I'm kind of afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I still need to read lots of those, and I'm picking Ten for my book club selection for next month, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I love the fact that it's hard to find out who the killer is--I love a good mystery in my books! :)

    Thanks for mentioning the HDM Readalong again! We appreciate you spreading the word! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You have picked quite a few books that made me think, too. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a book that never left my mind. I just don't see another book coming along that will impact me the way that one did. The Sky is Everywhere and Wanderlove are two other books which made me think as well. Oh Wanderlove... such an incredible story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great picks, there are a few on here I haven't read yet. I'll have to check them out.
    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you all the way on The Fault in Our Stars. It's obvious John Green reads widely (DFW fan as a teen!) & has an MFA in fiction from a top program. I always tell my friends that he's one of the best writers writing today in any genre. Of course, I also think that the Harry Potter series brings up so many questions of suffering and justice influenced by Rowling's work at Amnesty International, and that The Hunger Games floored me for its brutal parallel to how the world has always sent its poor and hungry to kill the poor and hungry of other nations. I love that YA literature tackles bigger issues than most of the insular (& at times self-indulgent) "great" adult literature out there today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your explanation on #5 and TEN was awesome and super creepy!!! As far as the amish book, one of my reviewer read it and she was like Oh no! lol

    Check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sky is Everywhere made my list too. I couldn't not include it, because it brought out all these emotions from in me and made me think about them. I love that you've included Little Women too, I started reading it years ago but never finished it. I'm sure I'd be able to appreciate a lot more now that I'm older. Great list!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished The Sky is Everywhere yesterday, and man, was it good. I loved the poetry and I now know I need a Joe Fontaine in my life...

    Also, yes to Wanderlove! Apart from making me want to drop everything and go on a trip, it made me think about how important it is to me to keep embracing my creative side.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sky is everywhere is also on my list:) Just love that book:) Love your list:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree with you about Wanderlove being an emotion overload. It really made me think about taking chances, finding new experiences, and living everyday without regret. And I could also relate to the fear and realization of abandoning ones self or ones art. I absolutely LOVED it. :)

    ~Allison @ Good Book and Good Wine

    ReplyDelete
  13. His Dark Materials - man, I still think about how amazing this trilogy was!!! I read it about 5 years ago, and was blown away as well. Have you ever given the audiobooks of this series a try? They are phenomenal!

    Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wooo! Phillip Pullman! An absolutely awesome series of books. I can't say they're one of the series that lingers with me, haunting me... but I do love them for what they bring to the table. I've never read YA fiction like it.

    Some books that make me think, though, are:
    1. The Time Traveller's Wfie (Ok, I don't WANT to think about this book... but for some reason it haunts me, and I find myself thinking about things like pregnancy, relationships, and just the oddities of this world in general)
    2. Maus: Not only is it a REALLY amazing Holocaust tale... but it makes me think about the medium of "Graphic Novel" in general, and how it can be utilized to convey a powerful message, while still having deep meaning and not being just "kids stuff"
    3. 1984 ... because, who doesn't get paranoid and start thinking about who exactly is watching after having read this book?

    Anyhow, there's a few of them, LOL... but I really loved your list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!