Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armchair BEA: Real Life Bookish Experiences


Today's prompt is "to share a positive "real life" experience with books! Either by way of your own partnerships in your community, a book signing you went to or possibly even a get together with fellow book bloggers. Tell us all about it!"

*If you visited between midnight and 4am PST, read again! This is an entirely new post! I didn't think my original post fit the prompt that well, so I scrapped it and wrote a whole new one :) Thanks!

Truthfully, I don't have much experience networking outside of my blog - I'm still relatively new, and I've been hesitant to really embrace the title of Book Blogger, for some reason. I've been fortunate enough to go to a ton of author events (all shared here!), but I haven't really ever put myself out there as a Book Blogger and specifically met up with people as a direct result.

I can tell you that one of the most fun things I've done that was a result of being a Book Blogger was Rock the Drop (read my recap here!). For those that don't know what it is, it's a specific day hosted by Readergirlz that's meant to promote teenage reading. Basically, you donate books by leaving them around your community to take - for FREE! You can't guarantee a teen will take it, but I tried to choose specific places I knew they hung around: my old high school, the local Boys & Girls Club, the library during after school hours. It's oddly thrilling to be leaving a gift of a book for someone. I revisited most of my drop sites an hour or two after I dropped them, and they were all taken! It was fun to meet up on Twitter with others who were participating, and I think I've actually gotten 2 buddies for next year to go around my city and Rock the Drop with me. The only reason i knew about it was through some book blogger friends participating, and then I decided to get involved. So, not quite Networking Offline…yet!

Screencapped from their Facebook page.
I actually think most of my Networking has yet to come - but I know it's coming! Tonight is the Fierce Reads tour stop in San Diego, and this is my first author event I'm attending where I specifically know 3 (maybe 4! Please go Jon!) bloggers who will also be there, and we're intending to say hi and meet for the first time. Which will be a lot of fun, I'm so excited to meet them!

The next thing that I know is coming is ALA Annual! This will be the first year I'm attending, and I'm SO excited. I'm practically giddy at the thought of chatting with real people in the publishing industry and meeting up with industry professionals, book bloggers, and other authors. My dream is to surround myself with books, and this is pretty close to it, don't you think? I'm going to be going to The Great YA Blogger Meet Up hosted by YA Highway and Stacked Books, and I'm really looking forward to meeting and mingling there. (If you're going to the conference and/or Meet Up, tell me! I'd love to meet you!)


Which, attending ALA is a weirdly indirect result of being a Book Blogger and sort of an Offline Networking thing. To make an incredibly long story short (you can read the whole exciting story here!), I went to an author event that was moderated by Kirsten Hubbard, the author of Wanderlove. As mentioned yesterday, Wanderlove is my top 2012 read -- and when I was reading the ARC, I was seriously HARASSING poor Kirsten on Twitter because I couldn't stop tweeting her about how amazing the book was. Usually I don't do that, but I just could not help myself with her book - it was that good. Kirsten recognized me from Twitter and we started chatting before and after the event. Cutting out several details and moments of happenstance, I ended up hanging out with her and a few of her friends for the rest of the night - which was AMAZING and I'm still in awe that it happened. BUT anyhow, how this relates specifically: I had entirely separate conversations each with Kirsten, Cindy Pon, Debra Driza*, and Shannon Messenger and they were each very adamant that going to conferences were the best places to really meet people in the book industry. They all recommended BEA and ALA, as well as SCBWI (if you're a writer as well), Comic-con, and other smaller conferences. I'd always considered going to ALA, but hearing the insistence from them was definitely a driving force as to me pushing to go.


Basically, I have a really exciting June lined up because of my blog and the want to Network. I don't quite have real stories to tell yet, but I have the prospect of them - and that in itself is something quite exciting!

What's your real life experience?
Leave your link in the comments!
(and if you're not doing Armchair BEA, tell me one event you would DIE to attend!)

*I would post Debra Driza's Mila 2.0 cover, but it technically hasn't been officially released. Don't want to perpetuate the leak!

19 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm amazed by how much networking you've been doing!! I love the idea of Rock the Drop! I'll have to look into that more and participate!

    I'll be attending BEA tomorrow and can't wait to rock some face-to-face Networking!

    Here are my posts so far for Armchair BEA:

    Day 1 | Introduction
    Day 2 | Best of 2012
    Day 2 | Giveaway | Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
    Day 3 | Networking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should do Rock the Drop if you can, it's exciting and I love the idea of getting more teens to read. And I hope you had TONS of fun at BEA!

      Delete
  2. Rock and Drop sounds great Glad you've got to do so much stuff and meet up with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock the Drop is tons of fun! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Great idea about the Rock Drop. I hadn't heard of that one. Also, it sounds like you're on your way. You will love ALA. Giddy won't even express your state. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting CRAZY giddy about ALA now that it's less than a week away! I'm not at all prepared for it yet, I feel like this is going to be the slowest week that passes the fastest (if that makes any sense)...anticipation is killing me!

      Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm jealous that you've been able to go to so many great events! For someone who says you don't do much networking, you sure have been busy! I saw Rock the Drop was going on, but didn't participate this year. Maybe next year!

    Here's my Armchair BEA Networking Post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i guess i have gotten to go to a lot of events...perhaps I'll stop saying I haven't networked! Definitely participate in Rock the Drop next year if you can, it's tons of fun!

      Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. ALA will be fantastic. I haven't been to that large scale of a conference, but for the mid-sized ones I've been to in Chicago area (not small but not 1,000s either) I can attest how great it is to surrounded yourself with other people who are passionate about books. One event I attended was open to anyone, but mostly included librarians and educators. I've never felt so at home! Loved it.

    OK, so now I definitely need to read Wanderlove. It popped up on a lot of blogs' best of's for ABEA. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for ALA I seriously can't contain it haha. I have so much fun at signings being around other bookish people, i can't imagine what i'll feel like on such a large scale! And oh my goodness YES PLEASE READ WANDERLOVE! It's such an amazing book, I hope you enjoy it.

      Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. That's amazing that you got to hang out and chat with Kristin Hubbard and her friends! That was definitely a great blogging experience for you :) I've heard going to those kind of conferences is a great way to network as well. I wish you luck when you go, and have fun at your blogger meet up (those are so much fun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still surreal to even think about, I have to convince myself that it really did happen. I've seen, met and hung out with celebrities before and none of that compared to hanging out with authors haha.

      Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. Whoop whoop!! Great post, Ashley!! :D It was AWESOME to meet you today and I hope we can meet up for Veronica Roth's signing in Huntington! :D

    Great post, btw! Hopefully we can both go to BEA next year, yes? :D

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome to meet you too, Sierra! I will definitely keep you posted about the Veronica Roth one next month, but I'm sure we'll see each other sometime soon, too! And YES to BEA next year - we must!

      Delete
  8. It was so great to see you again at the Fierce Reads event, Ashley---will hopefully get to chat again at ALA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Debra! I'll definitely keep an eye out for you on the exhibit floor, and maybe at Cindy's signing and/or the Meet Up? Hope to see you there!

      Delete
  9. It was so great to see you again at the Fierce Reads event, Ashley---will hopefully get to chat again at ALA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also hoping to go to ALA so we can actually have a chance to chat!! A friend had just come back from Texas the night of the Fierce Reads signing so I was pretty much her pet that evening, but I would really like to talk more in person :) I have never been to ALA and don't know what to expect! I'm not even sure the type of ticket to get hahaha. I am a little scrapped for money, so do you think the exhibitor hall's pass would be sufficient?

    ReplyDelete
  11. your bookish experience fantastic i love it because many student want update his study method thanks for share it bio writing service .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!