Friday, April 13, 2012

Rock the Drop! (recap)

If you haven't heard about Rock the Drop, click here! It's basically a day to support and celebrate Teen Lit Day, where you leave a YA book somewhere for a reader to find, pick up and enjoy. And it is AMAZING.

I was a last minute participant as I wasn't sure of my schedule for the day, thus I was entirely unprepared for it - but I managed to scrounge up a few of my loved-and-ready-to-let-go books; as well as ran out to purchase a few shiny new ones, too. As I'm sure most book bloggers are, I believe strongly and am passionate about reading and education, especially in the teenage years; so I didn't mind dropping some dollars to go towards this :)

Seriously, I'm jealous of whoever picked up some of these - I haven't read two of them, and I don't own my own copies of some!

These are the books I dropped!
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares
Divergent - Veronica Roth
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
The Maze Runner - James Dashner
Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

And here they are, all around my sleepy suburb in North-ish San Diego :)  I wanted to go to parts that were a little less affluent than my area, but I didn't have the time.  Next year!
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants made it to a Starbucks chair.
The freshman steps at the SE corner of my old high school.
I swung by an hour after my drop and it was already gone!
The Maze Runner at a local Boys & Girls club basketball courts.
Friends were here 3 hours after my drop and said it was gone!
Thirteen Reasons Why riding a ginormous turtle statue behind one of the local libraries!
Divergent chills in the sunshine behind a fountain outside a BN, Jamba Juice and Claire's.
And my last drop, the Hunger Games by the fire pit outside my favourite Coffee Bean.
Seriously, most of my blog posts are done here. Love it.
Rock the Drop was SO SO much fun (a friend even ran around town helping me), and I hope they made it to happy homes! I'm gonna swing by most of the places I went later today to see if they're still around. All of them had bookplates and a happy reading sign, though Divergent included a special note about the sequel and encouragement to pass along the book to fellow readers.

I definitely look forward to next year and doing this again!  Did you Rock the Drop? Find any around your town?

20 comments:

  1. The hunger games - love the movie never read the series:) Its on my wishlist:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you've heard it so much already, but the series is AMAZING - I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  2. I wish I lived there, I would have followed after you all day picking up the books haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah I TOTALLY thought that someone should do that! I was wondering if someone saw me if they would follow me because 3 of them were around the same area.

      Delete
  3. Awww! Looks like you had a lot of fun and you shared WONDERFUL books :D What a great way to spread the "book" love. I am definitely doing it next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was TONS of fun, I can't wait until next year! I'm seriously thinking of just randomly doing it every few months because I love the idea of spreading teen reading.

      Delete
  4. So amazing! It looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO SO much fun! I hope next year I can get in contact with Pubs or something because I'd love to spend the entire day driving around my city and dropping them.

      Delete
  5. Nice books, and what a funny thing to do:) Have a nice weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is kind of funny, isn't it? But so much fun, too!

      Delete
  6. Rock the Drop looks like an awesome thing to take part in, and you gave some brilliant books! Looks like you had a great time doing it too, San Diego looks so warm and sunny! (Compared to the UK where it's varying between barely warm and cold!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I heard the UK is cold right now! One of my best friends lives in London and was telling me about it. What's funny is this day was definitely one of the "colder" spring days since there was a fairly strong wind going! Of course, I was still wearing flip-flops and a t-shirt, so I guess I can't complain haha. The day after it rained like CRAZY though, so I'm hoping the books found happy homes in time.

      Delete
  7. This is super cool way to promote reading! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When I first heard about it I thought it was a bit strange to just drop random books, but it's so much fun and surprisingly exciting!

      Delete
  8. Aww. I missed it. I really wanted to do this, but I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention to the date. I wonder how bad it would be of me to do it a couple days late. =/

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could still do it! I'm seriously considering just doing it a few random months of the year because I love the idea of promoting teen reading this way. (Plus, who doesn't love a free book??) And truthfully, I forgot about it - but luckily since I'm on the West Coast I woke up to TONS of East Coasters tweeting about it so I ran out to participate last minute.

      Delete
  9. I think this is such a neat idea! I'm sad I missed it, but I think I'm going to make a point to do something like this in the next coming months. What a great way to promote reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! I'm thinking of doing it every few months, just because it's so much fun. I also live right next to a High School, so if I can give any kids books to read, I'm up for it.

      Delete
  10. I'm sure they all found great homes! Thanks so much for helping out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!