Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: The Alice in Wonderland edition

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine,
meant to spotlight an upcoming release we are eagerly awaiting!


Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
Harlequin Teen, 304 Pages
Expected US Release: September 25, 2012


She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….

I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.
---------------------------Goodreads summary


ZOMBIE ALICE IN WONDERLAND. There's nothing more you need to say. (Plus, that cover is divine.)
Splintered by AG Howard
Amulet Books, 400 Pages
Expected US Release: January 1, 2013

For sixteen years, Alyssa Gardner has lived with the stigma of being descended from Alice Liddell -- the real life inspiration for Lewis Carroll's famed novel, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. But cruel jokes about dormice and tea parties can’t compare to the fact that Alyssa hears the whispers of bugs and flowers ... the same quirk which sent her mother to a mental institution years before.

When her mother takes a turn for the worse and the whispers grow too strong for Alyssa to bear, she seeks the origins of their family curse. A set of heirlooms and a moth tied to an unusual website lead Alyssa and her gorgeous best friend/secret crush, Jeb, down the rabbit hole into the real Wonderland, a place more twisted and eerie than Lewis Carroll ever let on.

There, creepy counterparts of the original fairytale crew reveal the purpose for Alyssa’s journey, and unless she fixes the things her great-great-great grandmother Alice put wrong, Wonderland will have her head.
-----------------------Goodreads summary

I am loving the dark spins on classic fairy tales, you guys. Especially Alice in Wonderland, which just begs for it.   I seriously look forward to the creepy counterparts of our beloved characters -- and Jeb, of course!

What book(s) are you waiting for?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!

36 comments:

  1. I WANT these books so bad! Beautiful covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ADORE these covers! If only their release dates could be magically bumped up...to yesterday.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Both of these sound sooooo awesome, although I'm a bit more excited for ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND. Doesn't it sound absolutely awesome?! Über-awesome picks! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely all kinds of awesome! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of Splintered before, but it sounds amazing! And Alice in Zombieland looks like it'll be a great read too. Both these covers are stunning too!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost wish I hadn't heard of Splintered yet since we have to wait all the way until next year for it haha. The covers really are stunning!

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. I'm SO excited for Alice in Zombieland. Great picks!=D

    Drop by my WoW?
    http://tumblinginbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-7-clues-to-winning-you-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I see your URL and totally agree - I want to read 7 Clues to Winning You so badly! That's a great pick.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. I've never been a big fan of zombies but I keep seeing Alice in Zombieland - I hope you guys will enjoy it! :)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully, I'm not a big Zombie fan either -- but this cover and the fact that it's Alice (which could lend itself so well to the genre) intrigues me too much to ignore haha.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. Both of these sound fantastic, but this is the first time I've heard of Splintered and, seriously, wow. I have got to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe we have to wait until 2013 for it!

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to both these retellings of Alice In Wonderland and love the covers.

    My WOW
    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are so beautiful! Is it weird I kind of want to frame the Zombieland one? haha

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Ashley, thanks so much for spotlighting my book! I'm so thrilled with teh cover my publisher gave me! And I love the Alice in Zombieland cover, too. :) The girl's dress is gorgeous! (I'm such a sucker for frills--LOL)and the playing card inset is cool. :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome for the spotlight, it looks like a phenomenal read! Your cover is so distinct (in the best way) and I so want to know about Jeb haha. I think the playing card inset for Alice in Zombieland is my favourite part...I mean, I love her dress (frills <3) and the typeset, but it's so elegant and Alice-y.

      Thank you for commenting, and it is wonderful to meet you too!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, YES to both of those! They've been invading the blogosphere like crazy lately and I keep getting more and more excited each time I see them -- they both have such stunning covers and summaries! I love how their both about Alice in Wonderland because that's one of my favourite childhood summaries. So sweet!

    Awesome picks for your WOW this week, Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the brilliant things about alice in wonderland is how adaptable it is! There can seriously be millions of different things done to the story - Lewis Carroll is pretty timeless and amazing for that.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Great picks this week! Both look great.
    Happy Wednesday :)

    My WoW
    The Muggle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks! I can't wait for both of these! They sound so good and I love the covers. I love that both are incorporating Alice in Wonderland since it is my favorite stories.

    Thanks for stopping by my post!
    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how versatile Alice in Wonderland is. The original is brilliant of course, but how much can be done with it is absolutely amazing!

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  12. Alice in Zombieland is what I'm waiting for this week too! :) It just sounds so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss! I say we all petition to have it released like...tomorrow haha.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  13. Alice In Zombieland looks epic! Great picks!

    Thanks for stopping by my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am dying to read both of these books! I cannot wait for them to be released.

    Thanks for sharing!

    My WoW
    Renae @ Rolling with the Moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind skipping a bunch of months just to get closer to their release dates haha. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  15. The first book, Alice in Zombieland, looks quite interesting although I've never read anything my Showalter.
    Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read anything by Gena Showalter either :( Alice in Zombieland is definitely looking to change that, though!

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  16. Ohh, pretty covers :D And they seem like awesome books ;) I hope you'll love them :D
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely adore fairy tale retellings (especially ones with a good twist), so these titles are way up in my TBR list. Great picks, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG this sounds beyond amazing!!! So glad you picked thsi one because I hadn't heard of it before. Now it's gonna kill me waiting till 2013 when it releases. Wonderful WOW pick this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!