Thursday, April 19, 2012

Review: Scored by Lauren McLaughlin

Scored by Lauren McLaughlin
Random House, 240 Pages
US Release Date: October 25, 2011
Challenge: Local Library Challenge


Set in the future when teenagers are monitored via camera and their recorded actions and confessions plugged into a computer program that determines their ability to succeed. All kids given a "score" that determines their future potential. This score has the ability to get kids into colleges, grant scholarships, or destroy all hope for the above.Scored's reluctant heroine is Imani, a girl whose high score is brought down when her best friend's score plummets. Where do you draw the line between doing what feels morally right and what can mean your future? Friendship, romance, loyalty, family, human connection and human value: all are questioned in this fresh and compelling dystopian novel set in the scarily forseeable future.
-------------------Goodreads summary

Notable Quote
Privacy is a modern invention.
A very common theme throughout this entire review is going to be seeing both sides. When I first read the book, I had very strong feelings on what the book could be; as I was reading I had intense conflicting emotions; and even now, as I sit here and try to review it, I'm still a little conflicted, sitting in a very, very grey area.

On one hand, I'm really surprised this book hasn't been more talked about; there was little fanfare that I could tell when it was released, and it still doesn't seem to have much.  Which is odd, because I feel like the premise of it is something people could really grasp onto: it's a not-so-distant future where kids are watched and scored in every aspect of their life. The higher the score, the more opportunities and the "better" you are to society; the lower the score, the less you have at your disposal -- and heaven forbid if you are an unscored. Does that not sound a little like our present anyway?

At the same time, I'm not surprised that this book isn't discussed more, but that's for more conspiratal reasons: it questions a lot of systems we have in place, are trying to put in place, or may end up with in place at some time -- why would we try to raise an awareness about that? Why would we try to get readers and people to question something that's not quite there yet? It's a political book in a lot of ways, and that's always a fine line to tread.

The entire first half of the novel all I could think was, "Oh my God this is No Child Left Behind on crack, why am I reading about something I don't support?!" And when I finally read it mentioned in the book, I had that self-satisfied feeling in the pit of my stomach; that quickly turned to a deep dislike of this whole Scored society.  I'm not going to get into a whole spiel how I disliked the society because it will turn into a whole political thing about my stance on NCLB and a raving rant about how you can't possibly have a numerical value placed on every child and measure it as a nation. But I will say how it made it a little difficult for me to read the book because I did have such a strong reaction to this. The entire Scored society really is like a NCLB version jacked up and cracked out, and I absolutely hated it and hated every defense of the "scored" that the book had.

But here's the thing: that's exactly why you should read this book. If nothing for the sheer terror that it will incite in a person at the prospect of having "eyeballs" watch you and scientifically learn about you at every breathe you take, step you take, thought you think and thing you do. Or maybe you'll end up liking this Scored society, and it will incite you to start working towards ScoreCorp and having a society that numerically and algorithmically measures you. I personally don't want to know if that happens in you because we will have a raging fight, but that's the beauty of the book: it definitely could make that happen.

From a purely reviewer perspective rather than an overly-emotional reader, I do have to say that a few points of the book disappointed me. The romance was a bit stretched and unsatisfying, though I quite liked Diego as a whole. I was very into the idea of how opposites they were in multiple ways; I just wish it had been done a little better. I also felt like some of the secondary characters were one-dimensional; a few of them need to be, but it still felt like they were there for Imani's function and nothing more.  I felt like the last 30 pages were a bit of a letdown to the buildups. And truthfully, a lot of the book did feel like I was reading some heavy propaganda. It's not an easy book by any means, and a lot of passages felt like I was getting lectured.  I understand that for the story to work these were necessary, but there were definite times I had to push myself to get through because it was a lot like school and debating issues and history lessons.  Don't let the small page count fool you into thinking it'll be a quick, flimsy read: it's anything but. All 240 pages are packed with thought-provoking paragraphs and issues.

I was also a little thrown by the small amounts of racism addressed. I can understand the author wanting to raise some awareness or make a statement, but what little was mentioned seemed so randomly thrown in it made me a little confused. I felt like the issue of racism needed to be fully embraced and committed to (therefore having more of the story dedicated to it) or cut entirely.

Despite the negatives, there were positives:
  • I love the friendship aspect of the book and the difficulties in upholding them.
  • I like Imani's conviction the score and how well she argued it.
  • I like Diego. All of him.
  • And even though I classified it as a negative, the "propaganda" is a positive as well: this book has cleverness and intelligence in it, and it is not hidden. It raises some terrifyingly applicable questions to our current society and what it could be.
Though there were some holes and letdowns to Scored, this is a book that needs to be read and discussed.

3.5 Stars / 5

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I haven't heard anything about this book by your review has me intrigued. I'm not sure I'd want to buy this one (partially due to the negatives mentioned: feeling lectured, propaganda, how racism is addressed), but It would be worth checking to see if my library has a copy.

    I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on it if I do check it out, as it would be interesting to discuss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
    website. I'm hoping to view the same high-grade content by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own site now ;)

    Here is my blog best diet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theo thống kê của xsbt thu 3 trong 9 tháng đầu năm, 21 đơn vị thành viên của Hội đồng Xổ số kiến thiết khu vực miền Nam đã phát hành tổng cộng 633,8 triệu vé.
    Theo báo cáo của Hội đồng Xổ số kiến thiết khu vực miền Nam, trong 9 tháng đầu năm, 21 doanh nghiệp xổ số kiến thiết thành viên của Hội đồng đã phát hành tổng cộng 633,8 triệu vé, tương đương 68.380 tỷ đồng.
    Trong số đó, 506,3 triệu vé số đã được bán tương ứng với tỷ lệ tiêu thụ đạt 79,89%.
    Số tiền trả thưởng chiếm 48,45% doanh thu của các công ty. Trong 9 tháng, 21 doanh nghiệp xổ số này đã chi 24.533 tỷ đồng để trả thưởng cho khách hàng, nộp ngân sách Nhà nước 17.283 tỷ đồng.

    9 tháng, 21 công ty xổ số kiến thiết miền Nam đã chi bao nhiêu trả thưởng cho khách hàng?

    Lợi nhuận sau thuế của Công ty TNHH một thành viên Xổ số kiến thiết TP.HCM trong 9 tháng đạt 622 tỷ tỷ đồng song số tiền trả thưởng là 11,3 tỷ, bằng 1/55.
    Công ty TNHH một thành viên xsbl thu 3 của TP.HCM vừa công bố báo cáo tài chính quý III và 9 tháng đầu năm 2016.
    Lợi nhuận gộp từ hoạt động kinh doanh đạt 260 tỷ đồng. Sau khi trừ đi chi phí bán hàng 495 triệu đồng, chi phí quản lý doanh nghiệp 24,6 tỷ đồng thì Xổ số kiến thiết TP.HCM đạt 247 tỷ đồng lợi nhuận trước thuế và gần 198 tỷ đồng lợi nhuận sau thuế, tăng gần 29% so với cùng kỳ 2015.
    Đáng chú ý, chi phí để trả thưởng là con số rất nhỏ so với lợi nhuận. Trong 3 tháng từ tháng 7 đến tháng 9, công ty này chỉ chi trả thưởng cho người chơi gần 4 tỷ đồng dù lãi gần 200 tỷ. Còn tính chung 9 tháng đầu năm, số tiền trả thưởng là 11,3 tỷ đồng so với lợi nhuận hơn 600 tỷ đồng.
    Về doanh thu, trong 3 tháng quý III, đơn vị này đạt 1.559 tỷ đồng, tăng 13% so với 1.338 tỷ đồng của quý III/2015. Trong đó, 1.522 tỷ đến từ hoạt động chính là xổ số. Số còn lại đến từ in, cho thuê văn phòng.
    Chi phí phục vụ các hoạt động kinh doanh của Xổ số TP.HCM trong quý III là 1.100 tỷ đồng. Chiếm chủ chủ đạo là nguyên vật liệu trực tiếp 820 tỷ đồng, nhân công 271 tỷ đồng.

    Xem thêm: Xổ số úc: Suốt 25 năm kiên trì mua 1 bộ số xổ số y hệt nhau, người đàn ông này cuối cùng đã trúng được 1 triệu USD

    Lũy kế 9 tháng đầu năm, doanh nghiệp này đạt 4.745 tỷ đồng doanh thu, tăng 12,6% và lợi nhuận sau thuế đạt 622 tỷ đồng, tăng 15% so với năm 2015.
    Báo cáo tài chính cũng cho thấy Xổ số kiến thiết TP.HCM có các tình hình tài chính khá tốt khi không vay nợ. Còn khoản lợi nhuận sau thuế chưa phân phối là 618 tỷ đồng và tổng tài sản là 2.187 tỷ đồng.
    Như vậy, có thể thấy mặc dù bị "xổ số kiểu Mỹ" của Công ty Xổ số Điện toán (Vietlott) cạnh tranh quyết liệt kể từ khi ra mắt vào ngày 18/7/2016 nhưng kết quả kinh doanh của công ty xổ số kiến thiết lớn nhất cả nước vẫn chưa bị ảnh hưởng mà ngược lại còn tăng khá mạnh.
    Mới đây, trước sự cạnh tranh mạnh mẽ của Vietlott, Xổ số kiến thiết đã nâng giá trị của đặc biệt từ 1,5 tỷ đồng lên 2 tỷ đồng từ năm 2017 tới đây.

    Xem thêm các tin tức xổ số hay khác tại: http://ketquaxoso-24h.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cảm ơn tác giả rất nhiều :D. Mong rằng bạn sẽ có những bài viết bổ ích hơn nữa :D
    Read more:Các bạn xem thêm thông tin
    Chúng tôichuyên cập nhật các Bí quyết sống khỏe mỗi ngày để chăm sóc sức khỏe cho bạn và gia đình luôn hạnh phúc, khỏe mạnh cùng với những món ngon mỗi ngày tốt cho Sức Khỏe sống khỏecùng chúngtôi hằng ngày

    ReplyDelete

  5. Bộ sưu tập vòng tay đá mắt hổ Hot nhất 2017
    Bộ sưu tập mặt dây chuyền phật Hot nhất 2017
    Bộ sưu tập vòng tay đá thạch anh Hot nhất 2017

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!