Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: The Diviners by Libba Bray and The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine,
meant to spotlight an upcoming release we are eagerly awaiting!

The Diviners by Libba Bray
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 608 Pages
Expected US Release: September 18, 2012 (!!! Bumped up from November!)


Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.
-----------------------------Goodreads summary


I will follow Libba Bray and her writing to the ends of the earth, into other realms, onto remote islands with guerrilla beauty queens...anywhere. The Gemma Doyle series is some of my favourite books ever, and I'm so excited to see this period in historical YA fiction.  Plus, it sounds pretty awesome, too.

The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse
Simon & Schuster, 384 pages
Expected US Release: July 10, 2012

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up. The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.
-------------------------------Goodreads summary

First, THE COVER. I'm crazy about the cover. I know some people don't like it, but I am definitely down. It's just so evocative, I could make an entire story based on the image.  And then you read the summary, and it just sounds so...horrifically awesome, right?? I mean, being sent and stranded on an island with others who are deemed too brutal to live in regular society - because you are too?! That just has to bring about some really great things.

What books are you waiting for?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!

27 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just popping in...
    Oh wow The Forsaken is going on my TBR pile. It sounds exciting and terrifying!

    Here is my choice...
    Waiting On Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. love forsaken's cover

    cool choices

    WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I must confess that I haven't read a single one of Libba Bray's books. But I have them on my kindle! So, don't beat me, I'll get to them eventually LOL

    New follower on GFC!

    And here's my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both look great! Sadly I didn't have time to read any of Libba Bray's books (yet), but I have Great and Terrible Beauty at home, waiting for me to read it asap. (: Nice choices!

    Aleksandra and her WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both sounds great. I'm particularly looking forward to The Forsaken.

    My WOW
    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks! I have heard so many good things about Libby Bray but have yet to pick up one of her books. I will have to rectify that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh, both books have pretty covers :D And they sound awesome ;) Great picks :)
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Forsaken would be a really good read. The cover and the blurb get me excited every time!

    Check out my WOW?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember hearing about the Diviners a couple of years ago when Libba Bray first got the book deal. I've been looking forward to it. Didn't realize this was the release date. The Forsaken sounds really interesting too. Great selections!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of these look really good!! I need to read some Libba Bray books. I've heard amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, The Forsaken looks so great! I scheduled a post featuring this one as a WOW pick, too, and am so curious about it!

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both these choices look excellent. I am a big fan of Libba Bray as well.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've actually never heard of either of these...that's why I adore this feature...I always find something new!

    Brilliant choices this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both new to me, the Forsaken looks crazy good! Great chocies, I hope you enjoy them! :D

    My WOW:
    http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-of-poseidon.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I own all the books in the Gemma Doyle trilogy but have not had the chance to read them yet (Glad to hear they are favorites). I really love historical YA and the Diviners looks really interesting.

    And the cover for The Forsaken is insaneeee. Loveee it!

    Thanks for sharing and stopping by my WoW :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choices! I am so intrigued by The Forsaken, but I'm very excited for Libba Bray's new one especially. Gemma Doyle was amazing so it's great to see her return to period writing.

    Thanks for stopping by! I'm a new follower for your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait for both of these to be released! I especially love the cover for The Forsaken, plus it sounds like it'll be such a great read!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still haven't read anything by Libba Bray, though several of her books are in my TBR. Looks like this is another to join them.

    My WoW Pick

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great picks, especially the second one! I think the cover is very different and unique: I like that :D

    Visit my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great picks! Both sound really good! I am especially looking forward to The Forsaken.

    Thanks for stopping by my post!
    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Diviners sounds really interesting. I've only read The Beauty Queens by Libba Bray which was totally unexpected and really funny. I'm totally waiting for The Forsaken, too! I love the cover for it! Thanks for stopping by my Waiting on Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Forsaken looks so, so, so good! I'm completely enamoured with the cover (seriously, I don't think I've ever seen anything as unique), and premise of it just sounds super awesome. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So excited to see that Libba Bray has a new one coming out!!! Check out my WoW at http://www.whatireadyesterday.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great picks! I haven't read any of Bray's books, but I've heard they're great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eeep both of these sound totally awesome! Great picks!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great picks! I haven't heard of The Diviners yet, but it's on my TBR list for sure - thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog yesterday. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!