Thursday, April 5, 2012

TGIF (11) and Follow Friday (10)


TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads! This week's discussion is about
Book Series Finales
Which book, from any series, has been your favourite ending? What about your least favourite ending?

So, I have problems: I tend not to finish series. Or I just won't start them. Because I don't like endings, guys! I get so attached and if I've stuck with people (characters, in this case) through 2-5 books or so, I get really, really, desperately attached. And so, if I don't read the end, then I never have to let them go!

That's healthy, right?  This is also why I've never watched the last Harry Potter film. I know, I know.

In any case, of the few series I have finished...if this counts, I adored Where She Went, which was the perfect book to bring If I Stay to a close. And even though it absolutely broke my teenage heart to shattered little pieces, I love the entire His Dark Materials ending. It was one of those irrefutable plot endings, that's just...it makes so much sense you have to accept it even though every ounce of my soul protested.  So bittersweet.

The Hunger Games falls under series I liked and series I didn't like. I support the ending. I do. But a small little piece of my heart wished that the...uhh...other boy didn't end as he did. I can't have everything, I understand; but I still can wish.

The least is pretty obvious: the Twilight saga. Book 4 just skeeved me out in so many horrible ways. I didn't even care about the pregnancy scene (not that I loved them, but I didn't care), it was the imprinting on Renesmee.  And that they named the girl Renesmee. 

What are your favourite and least favourite endings?
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View, meant to spotlight two blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love!

This week's spotlight blogs are: The Talking Teacup & The Romanceaholic

And the question of the week is:
Have you ever purchased a book BECAUSE of a bad review?

Actually PURCHASING? No. I don't really buy books unless I've read it already and loved it, or I know I will absolutely love it. However, there are a lot of books I'll hunt down at the library and read because of bad reviews. The most recent I can think of is Various Positions by Martha Schabas - I read some pretty negative things about the MCs obsession with sex, but I was interested anyway (besides, I am hard pressed to turn down a ballet book).  Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James was also one I kept hearing HORRIBLE things about (on the news, too!) since it was that whole Twilight Fan Fiction thing...a friend had a copy and absolutely hated it and offered it to me, so of course I had to take it. I've yet to read it, but I'm quite intrigued!  I also didn't hear great things about Jersey Angel by Beth Ann Bauman, which I went ahead and requested on NetGalley anyway - hopefully I'll get approved and see which way I'll turn!


How do bad reviews influence you?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!
And of course I'd love to return a follow if you are kind enough to follow me :)

PS. Have you entered my Birthday giveaway yet?
This is the last week!!
Win one of the books below OR an April release! Two winners!
ends Sunday!

19 comments:

  1. Great answer! I've never bought a book because of a bad review. I like to judge for myself. I'm a new follower by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you answers too! Jersey angel sounds like a great book.
    Thanks for stopping by my FF. I'm an old follower too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I don't buy a book unless I know I'll love it [usually].
    New follower.(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your answer. New Follower.
    I want to read Fifty Shades of Grey despite having hated Twilight (Breaking Dawn, ugh!)
    http://fictionflaire.blogspot.in/2012/04/follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by our blog! Great post!

    Old follower.

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Mockingjay...but do agree the other boy dissapointed me. :/ And his part in certain things killed me. Also...most of BD I agree with. But the whole Jake/Ren thing...yeah. That I could do with out. Jake & Leah FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't read those books for TGIF! But unless I am really set to read a book I will no matter the review.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fifty shades is the exact one I read - bad review but I STINKING LOVED IT!!!!!!!! It's intense but whoo :)

    Happy reading this week!

    Follow Friday @ the Brunette Librarian's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same here!! I won't buy them, but I'll definitely read them. And then maybe buy them if I loved them. :D

    Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, total agreement Ashley. I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the 3 books you mentioned, especially Fifty Shades of Gray, I'm curious if it deserves all the hype:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree!! I won't buy the book but I will check it out from the library!!

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually check it out form the library "then" buy it.
    Thanks for stopping by the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping by to say have a great weekend!
    New email and linky follower :)

    The Muggle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great answers (and recs!). I'd rather borrow a book first if it's ridden with mixed reviews. If I like it, I'll buy it - if I don't, then I have money to buy something else. It's a win-win!

    New follower here! Happy Friday :).

    My TGIF/F&F @ YA Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Returned the follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Old follower hopping through! I read Jersey Angel and didn't like it at all. *g* I think tastes differ, though, which is why I often read books that got negative ratings and reviews. I don't know if I ever bought one solely based on ONE negative review, though. I hope not. oô

    Patricia // My FF

    ReplyDelete
  18. My boyfriend ADORES His Dark Materials & has been trying for months to get me to read them. One day!

    Oh man, Fifty Shades of Grey.. that one didn't even come to mind, but yes. I'm extremely curious. Even more so after finding out it was originally a Twilight fanfic. Also, I've read some excerpts of certain scenes and I'd really love to find out if the rest is just as cringe-worthy.

    My TGIF & FF!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love you answers to these questions Ashley! there are some unforgettable book endings that i will never forget, like the one for the cirque du Freak series by darren shan.
    Following back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!