Friday, April 13, 2012

TGIF (12) and Follow Friday (11)


TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads! This week's discussion is about
Musical Stories
If you could read a book about any song, which song would you love to see written down in story form?

This is a seriously tough question, because I think most music has to come from a deep place. (Most good music, anyway.)  There's always a story behind every lyric, and if you really wanted to, you could write it.  That said, I have 3 that I would love to have formed into a book. All of them are fairly popular (one VERY popular), and all are tortured/sad/heartbreaking in their own way; but still, I think some truly emotional and touching stories could be made.

Damien Rice - Cannonball

John Mayer - Slow Dancing In A Burning Room

Adele - Rolling in the Deep

What musical story would you want to read?
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View, meant to spotlight two blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love!

This week's spotlight blogs are: Book Briefs & Gizmo's Reviews

And the question of the week is:
What is one book that you would be nervous to see a movie adaption of because you think the movie could never live up to the book?

I said it in my review, but I am absolutely terrified for the movie adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's such a beautiful, emotional, epic read that you feel as you go from paragraph to paragraph, page to page.  And it's not really that I don't think they'd be able to do Hazel, Augustus and Isaac justice (there's a chance they could); but it's more that I think all the visual cues of sets and scenes would detract from the experience of reading it. I can't say more in case people have not read it (what are you waiting for??), but there are very specific parts where I feel a movie would ruin it because of surroundings.

Though truthfully, my answer is every book, EVER. I'm just not a fan of movie adaptations. Some are great (The Notebook, Gone with the Wind, every Pride & Prejudice adaptation, etc), but wholly, the book  is always, always better. Movies almost always ruin something a reader can get from the book. And really, movie adaptations are poor excuses for people not to read; I can't tell you how many students I had in my tutoring days that said they saw the movie so they could write the report. Absolutely disgraceful.

What book should never be a movie?
Leave me your link and I'll hop by!
And of course I'd love to return a follow if you are kind enough to follow me :)

14 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower hopping by!

    Lovely answer! I think as long as the author has a voice and participates in the decisions needed for the movie, the movie will turn out fine.

    My fff:
    http://bookwormmia.blogspot.com/2012/04/feature-follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely right - I've had too many arguments about whether a book is bad or not with people who haven't actually read it, but have seen the movie. Drives me mad!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the John Mayer song you picked. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your music picks are brilliant! :O <3

    Patricia // My FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking about TFiOS! I woudl like to see them try to make this movie, although it woudl be tough to live up to the book. New follower :)

    My FF Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the songs you picked and I could definitely see how they could be turned into stories. I could kind of see Rolling in The Deep being a story about a broken love maybe set on the shoreline of some town and the character having all these hurt, vengeful feelings.

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for Rolling in the Deep! Would make a great, but heartbreaking book that I would love to read. I'd be nervous for The Fault in Our Stars as well. I just don't know if a movie could give such an emotional story justice. Great answers!

    New GFC follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/follow-friday-23-and-tgif-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rolling in the deep would be a fantastic story!! And I love the John Mayer as well!! Great choices :)

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopping through. I really hope TFIOS never ends up as a movie. I don't think they can get it right.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I am a new follower. I chose Divergent because I don't know if the movie can do the book justice.


    Here’s my FF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, great call on Damian Rice!! I'd love to see a bunch of his songs made into books. And of course Adele is just amazing too. Hers would be a very powerful book.

    New follower, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy FF! Just sneaking through to say hey. I'm a new follower! I hope you'll stop by & visit me too.

    Jenny @ Into the Morning Reads

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adele's Rolling in the Deep is an amazing song. Great pick! That would be a great book. Thanks and happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping by to say have a great weekend!
    Old email follower (amugglesmagicalbookblog at yahoo)

    The Muggle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!