Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway & Being Friends With Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine,
meant to spotlight an upcoming release we are eagerly awaiting!


Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway
Bloomsbury, 288 Pages
Expected US Release Date: May 8, 2012


In Abby’s world, magic isn’t anything special: it’s a part of everyday life. So when Abby learns that she has zero magical abilities, she’s branded an "Ord"—ordinary, bad luck, and quite possibly a danger to society. The outlook for kids like Abby isn’t bright. Many are cast out by their families, while others are sold to treasure hunters (ordinary kids are impervious to spells and enchantments). Luckily for Abby, her family enrolls her in a school that teaches ordinary kids how to get around in a magical world. But with treasure-hunting kidnappers and carnivorous goblins lurking around every corner, Abby’s biggest problem may not be learning how to be ordinary—it’s whether or not she’s going to survive the school year!
--------------------------------Goodreads summary

I love reading Middle Grade novels because I think the target audience is a great age of wonder and possibilities. Those are the years when everything is possible. And doesn't Ordinary Magic sound like a wonderful little world to get lost in?  To be "ordinary" in a world where magic is the normal is a fun twist, and I love that Caitlen has mixed in a consequence for being ordinary.  I really love the involvement of family too, that they are supportive enough to send her to a school that will help her live within this "ordinariness" is awesome.

(Plus, how amazing is that cover? So much whimsy!)

And stay tuned to my blog closer to May 8, because there's some magic to come ;) (and in the meantime, follow her on Twitter @cate_rb and add her book on Goodreads!)


Being Friends With Boys by Terra Elan McVoy
Simon Pulse, 368 Pages
Expected US Release Date: May 1, 2012

Charlotte and Oliver have been friends forever. She knows that he, Abe, and Trip consider her to be one of the guys, and she likes it that way. She likes being the friend who keeps them all together. Likes offering a girl's perspective on their love lives. Likes being the behind-the-scenes wordsmith who writes all the lyrics for the boys' band. Char has a house full of stepsisters and a past full of backstabbing (female) ex-best friends, so for her, being friends with boys is refreshingly drama-free...until it isn't any more.

When a new boy enters the scene and makes Char feel like, well, a total girl...and two of her other friends have a falling out that may or may not be related to one of them deciding he possibly wants to be more than friends with Char...being friends with all these boys suddenly becomes a lot more complicated.
--------------------------------Goodreads summary

I so love this book already.  Growing up, I was definitely "one of the guys" to a lot of friends, and I cannot wait to see how it plays out for Charlotte.  Plus, these group of guys are in a band together?? This sounds like a lot of delicious angsty artsy drama.

What books are you waiting for?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!

PS. Have you entered my birthday giveaway here yet?
Last week to enter!
You could win one of the books pictured below, or any April release of your choice! Two winners!
ends April 8

19 comments:

  1. Old follower stopping by! I think I'll have to read Being Friends With Boys. Most of my friends were guys, and although I was seldomly "one of the guys" I think I can relate to the situation in the novel. *grin*

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordinary Magic is definitely on my to-read list! Sounds like such a fun, magical read and I've really been wanting to fit a bit more MG back into my reading schedule!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! Being Friends With Boys totally sounded A-MAY-ZING =D It's been on my TBR pile for ever. Great pick!=D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of Being Friends With Boys, it's so true that there is no drama great pick!, and thanks for stopping by :D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ordinary Magic sounds really cute. I hadn't heard of it before stopping by so I'm glad I did.

    My WoW@Blood,Sweatandbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ordinary magic sounds cute! It has been on my list for a while now :D Nice pick!

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being Friends with Boys sounds like a book I am going to run out and get. Thanks for sharing, Here's my WoW
    Thanks,
    Cathy @ Addicted to Books
    Check out my Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh this one is a great pick! Sounds amazing! first time seeing Ordinary Magic! I'll add this on my list! ;3

    Please drop by @ my Waiting on Wednesday post here


    Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to read MG novels sometimes too- especially because they are quick and easy and fun at the same time! I always thrown one in when I've just finished a particularly depressing book! This on looks magical!

    My WOW: http://pocketfulofbooksblogger.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cover! <3 I have started to love MG books these days :) And this one seems awesome ;) Great picks :) Hope you'll love them both when they comes out ;D
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read Pure by McVoy so I think I would like Being Friends with Boys.

    My WOW: http://breathofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. haven't heard of these titles but they sound good! great picks :)

    my WoW pick.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. These both sound so cute! I totally want to read both of them. I'm just getting back into middle grade!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being Friends With Boys sounds so awesome. I'm definitely going to have to pre-order it. I love the cover for Ordinary Magic too!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha, I was the opposite - never could figure out who'd want to be friends with boys, who were weird to actually try to figure out how to spend normal time with. They were so boring, always wanting to do such guy stuff. lol The book sounds great, I love those group friends-broken-up-by-angsty-stuff stories and bonus for being about a band!

    I haven't read middle grade lately but Ordinary Magic sounds so much like the stories I read when I was younger it's making me feel very nostalgic. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh both sounds really good! I agree with you on the middle grade novels; it is a time of incredible possibilities. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely agree with you about middle grade books! :) :) Have you read Seeing Cinderella yet? I loved that one.

    Oh and the second one sounds cool! I think I've seen this one before - I might add it to my wishlist, hehe.

    Thanks for stopping by, A! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ordinary Magic looks so cute! Being an ordinary kid in a world of magic? Talk about wish fulfillment for every human child - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two great picks! I'm not a middle grade reader, but Ordinary Magic does sounds very good! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by! *New Follower*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!