Friday, April 12, 2013

[Une Petite Revue] Butter by Erin Jade Lange (ARC)

Butter by Erin Jade Lange
Bloomsbury Children, 316 Pages
US Release Date: September 4, 2012
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher, via NetGalley (thank you!)


A lonely obese boy everyone calls "Butter" is about to make history. He is going to eat himself to death-live on the Internet-and everyone is invited to watch. When he first makes the announcement online to his classmates, Butter expects pity, insults, and possibly sheer indifference. What he gets are morbid cheerleaders rallying around his deadly plan. Yet as their dark encouragement grows, it begins to feel a lot like popularity. And that feels good. But what happens when Butter reaches his suicide deadline? Can he live with the fallout if he doesn't go through with his plans? With a deft hand, E.J. Lange allows readers to identify with both the bullies and the bullied in this all-consuming look at one teen's battle with himself.
-----------------Goodreads summary

The Goods
Surprisingly emotional. You come to care for Butter and what he's going through.
Love the saxophone element.
The family. They're not perfect, but...there's one scene with the dad that got me.

The Bads
Minorly predictable? I mean...well, no spoilers. But it is. In a way.
Sometimes Butter was just that bitter fat kid, and pretty unlikeable.

The Consensus
A compelling read about so much more than being the fat kid; it's about friendship, and learning to love not only yourself but those around you in any capacity.

The Recommendation
For anyone who feels outside the normal.

4 Stars / 5

6 comments:

  1. I just read this yesterday! It was a bit predictable, I agree, and honestly, the "eating himself to death" thing definitely disgusted me. However, I felt compelled to keep reading it because I wondered whether he would actually go through with it!
    Nara @ Looking for the Panacea

    Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any
    widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    My webpage - bmi index chart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it odd that I think the idea of this book is a bit strange? I mean, it certainly got my attention, but the idea of it - it's just odd to me. And it also breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been really wanting to read this. I'll have to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this 'petit' review format:) I was unsuccessful and getting this from NG last year and it really bummed me out. I actually have forgotten it since then (the downfall of reading so many books I guess.) But thanks for putting it back on my radar:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this one -- it was not what I expected at all!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!