Saturday, November 3, 2012

Book Quotes: Every Day by David Levithan

Book Quotes are posts dedicated to the wonder of writing. There are books you read and you just know that it has pieces of wisdom within it, buried right there in the words. Here are the ones I'm documenting. 
(***Which means that if you have NOT read this book yet, there is a potential for spoilers!)


Every Day
by David Levithan
Goodreads | BN | Amazon | TBD | IndieBound

What is it about the moment you fall in love? How can such a small measure of time contain such enormity? I suddenly realize why people believe in deja vu, why people believe they've lived past lives, because there is no way the years I've spent on this earth could possibly encapsulate what I'm feeling. The moment you fall in love feels like it has centuries behind it, generations--all of them rearranging themselves so that this precise, remarkable intersection could happen. In your heart, in your bones, no matter how silly you know it is, you feel that everything has been leading to this, all the secret arrows were pointing here, the universe and time itself have crafted this long ago, and you are just now realizing it, you are just now arriving at the place you were always meant to be.

******

I no longer think she is just being nice. She's being kind. Which is much more a sign of character than mere niceness. Kindness connects to who you are, while niceness connects to how you want to be seen.

******

This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it's just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be.

******

All my usual disconnect comforts are being taken away, now that I see the greater comfort of presence.

******

There will always be more questions. Every answer leads to more questions.
The only way to survive is to let some of them go.

******

I want to argue with her, tell her that "sins of the flesh" is just a control mechanism--if you demonize a person's pleasure, then you can control his or her life. I can't say how many times this tool has been wielded against me, in a variety of forms. But I see no sin in a kiss. I only see sin in the condemnation.

******

"And I love you."
That isn't the question, she's saying.
But it's not the answer, either.

******

Every person is a possibility. The hopeless romantics feel it most acutely, but even for others, the only way to keep going is to see every person as a possibility.

**All quotes taken from the ARC I acquired from ALA Annual 2012. The final copy may be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!