Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Top Ten Authors/Books To Be Thankful For

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the fab ladies at The Broke and the Bookish!

Top Ten Authors/Books
For Which I Am Thankful
Happy early Thanksgiving, all!

Authors
1. JK Rowling
Harry Potter changed the world, guys. Not just that it's a fantastic story filled with true friends, real adventure, and what it means to be kind and good - but it changed the world of reading. Suddenly, it's ok to read children's and young adult books. It's ok to enjoy a fantastical setting, to want something not quite real in our world (at least, that we know of!). I'm not saying I needed the approval, but a wider acceptance means a wider access. I'm grateful. Also, Harry <3

 
2. Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
While I'm certain I read YA before picking up Nick & Norah, that is the first book I remember thinking, holy shit this is where I am meant to be. Their collaboration novels are still some of my favourites today; something about their characters together make me feel like I'm home, like I'm not really alone in the world.

3. Kirsten Hubbard
For two reasons: 1) Wanderlove is one of my favourites of 2012, and favourites ever. It's a fabulous book and I feel like I'm seeing my emotions on the paper when I read it. She's written a gift, as far as I'm concerned. and 2) she was one of the first authors I truly wanted to meet, and she was so sweet and kind when we finally did. She continues to tolerate my probably-less-than-appealing fangirling, and I really think she is one of the main reasons I've been as involved in the YA world as I have been. She's introduced me to her friends, and I feel very lucky to say she's an author friend. Also, without her, I never would have met...

4. Cindy Pon
If you've ever met or seen Cindy, you know that she is absolutely unforgettable. She's hilarious and has this loud, distinctive laugh that just lights her up like a Christmas tree. She is friendly and selfless and always making connections between people. Cindy has introduced me to numerous people in the YA and writing world (I got to hang out with Cassie Clare because of Cindy!), and I feel grateful to even be within her thoughts ever - not just a reading and writing friend, too. She's always thinking of others, and I really hope that if/when I'm an author, I'm just like her and constantly remembering readers as well.

Books
 
1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Little Women is the first book I loved with all my being. I was Josephine March, it is the reason I read and write and carry myself as I do. It is the core to my reading/writing life.

2. His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman
This will always be my favourite series, as I often say here. It's because it's the first one I read that made me realize that writing has absolutely no limits whatsoever. So what if a witch never actually falls out of the sky and chats with me? If I want to write a talking, fighting, loyal polar bear, I damn well can. Lyra's world is fascinating and fantastical and fantastic in all the ways possible, and I adore it for being a revelation to me as both a reader and a writer.

3. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
This is the first book I ever wrote a review on. When I read it, I just had to talk about it because I loved it so much. Writing this review (which is actually pretty cringe-worthy when I look back at it) made me realize that hey...this is something I like doing. That it's something I wanted to keep doing.

4. Across the Universe by Beth Revis
Across the Universe is the reason I found book blogging. After I read it (I picked it up when I saw the cover at the library - it was too gorgeous not to check out!), I loved it so much and so hard that I absolutely had to know what was going on. I googled the series, and stumbled across book blogs that had reviewed it or were early reviewing A Million Suns. It had literally never occurred to me before that book blogging would exist.


5. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour
As I write in my review here, and what I tweeted and told Nina when I met her - The Disenchantments made me want to write again. There's a subtle force to Nina's writing, and it is so strongly what I hope to evoke in readers one day that it just made me yearn to pick up a pen and get scribbling again. I turned away from writing for some very personal and tough reasons, and it was wonderful finding the desire again.

6. If I Stay/Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Gayle's books made me realize that a young adult book can be many things. It can be fun and happy and filled with angst and boys and drama...and it can also be serious. It can be filled with introspection and tough choices and life and death and everything that ever encompasses. Gayle's books appeal to the deepest parts of our souls, and I adore that it's in a Young Adult novel. Her books prove the worth of Teen titles.

What authors/books are you grateful for?
Leave your link and I'll hop by!
PS. Have you entered my Holiday Giveaway? Two winners can choose between 4 books!
International, ends 11/28

9 comments:

  1. So many great choices! I love Nina LaCour. I will read anything she writes. I also have David Levithan and Harry Potter on my list, of course. ;)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Wanderlove and I finally get it! As in, it's really wonderful and I'm glad that I wasn't disappointed. It definitely made me want to go on an adventure.

    Awesome list! (Although, sigh, I wish I could have gotten into The Disenchantments. It was just not my cup of tea... as I drink tea. haha)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nick & Norah! Feel free to checkout My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really need to read Wanderlove. And I really want to read something by Cindy Pon, I feel like I'm missing out on something awesome! Little Women is an amazing book too. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Little Women, If I Stay, and, of course, Harry Potter. My list is on my book blog, which you'll see on my profile page :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, JK Rowling definitely changed the world of reading! Like you said, suddenly it's okay to adults to read children's and YA books. Love her, and HP like crazy.

    His Dark Materials is an amazing series! Definitely one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love JK Rowling (I always feel like I need to say that)... and I love your story about Lola and the Boy Next Door. I've been meaning to read Wanderlove for forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices!!! Agreed agreed agreed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!