Monday, May 7, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
Feiwel & Friends, 387 pages
US Release Date: January 3, 2012
Challenges: Local Library Challenge, Debut Author Challenge


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
------------------Goodreads summary

Notable Quote
Lines drawn into his face suggested he had spent many years thinking very hard over very difficult problems. But his eyes were bluer than the sky and, at that moment, they were smiling.

Even though this is a retelling of a classic fairy tale that we all know and love dearly, Cinder is still one of the most original stories I've ever, ever read - absolutely incredible.

I was a little weary heading in when I knew it was about a Cyborg Cinderella, because there's so many potential questions. How is she a Cyborg? (How) Does she feel? Is she the only one? How does she function in society? What do they think of her? Simply put, I was worried.

All for naught.

(Sidebar: Do people still say that, by the way? I've been called an old British Biddy when I say that IRL.)

During last week's Top Ten Tuesday, the topic was books we'd like to see as movies, and I was startled to see so many lists include Cinder. But it really would be perfect, because the world Marissa Meyer builds is fantastic. The entire society and city of New Beijing, even the brief mentions of other continents...it all integrates so well. I was completely immersed in the story, to the point where I truly had to spend a few minutes drawing myself back out whenever I put it down.

I'm not sure if my brain is just weird, but I had the plot figured out pretty quickly; I don't know if certain plot points were meant to be Major Twists, but nothing really was for me. But oddly enough, it was almost better for me that way! I was fairly certain how everything was going to work, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing just how they were going to get there. I mean, basic plot elements are expected since this is a retelling of a classic, but there was so much more to the story as well, and I was eating up everything I could about it.

I loved how Marissa Meyer worked in magic - in the classic tale, magic functions as a beneficial element. It helps disguise Cinderella, it is the reason why she has the opportunity to go to the Ball and see the Prince. But in Cinder, the magic has so much more potential and SO much more use. It can be negative and evil and destructive, while also useful and good. The variation was surprising and awesome.

There's SO much more of this I want to talk about. I want to say how awesome and multi-faceted Cinder was, discuss how brilliant I thought the merging of human + cyborg was, discuss how horrible the Lunars are, talk about how in love I am with Prince Kai, how I wanted to cry when Peony got sick, how I wished I had a sensor when Cinder and the Doctor were chatting because I couldn't figure out what was real and what wasn't....there's was SO much of this that had me in awe that someone could create this entire society and world.

Quite obviously, I am in love with this book. It's a simple twist on a simple tale that makes it entirely extraordinary.  Now, BOOK TWO WHERE ARE YOU?!? I NEED YOU!

5 Stars / 5
(and oh my Stars it would get more if I could)

7 comments:

  1. Eeeppp!!! I know! I was kind of worried too when the synopsis said she was a cyborg. I mean, if then, how could she function like a human? But Meyer totally pulled it off. So glad you love it. Awesome review! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review! I adored this one too and will totally be with you in the queue for book two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book is so amazing, and was definitely on my list of books to turn into a movie...I am dying to read the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this book as well! I loved the whole world aspect of it. It was just so amazing. Now that I think about it, Cinder would definitely make a really great movie. I can't wait for the next book! Great review. =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one!!! So good! And I guess a lot of things early, too, but had so much fun waiting to see just how things would come together. It was seriously a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book and I think you are right - it was very unique! I can't wait for book 2!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I decided to pick up this book, I did not expect anything from it. The synopsis kind of threw me off, but I decided to give this one a try. By the time I finished this book, it completely blew me away. I don't really read retellings prior to reading this book but the way Marissa Meyer carefully crafted the novel kept me on the edge of my seat. Now I am recommending this book to anybody who enjoys reading and I cannot wait to get my hands on Scarlet (book #2).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!