Friday, May 25, 2012

TGIF (15) and Follow Friday (14)

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads!

Show Me Your Cover
What are some of the worst book covers, but hold some of the best stories inside? Don't be embarrassed, show us your cover!

Surprisingly, even though I'm incredibly judgmental about covers (who isn't?), I had a tough time! There were a few that popped out, but a lot of the ones that I don't like are just little nit-picky issues or I'll reconcile myself with it. That said, I split it into 3 categories:

People on the Cover
I don't usually like real people (full face showing) on the covers because it gives me an idea of the characters and I prefer to make that up in my head as I go along. Most I'll forgive (read: indifference), but these are the ones that bother me the most.
Paper Towns by John Green

 vs.
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson (US Paperback) (left). 
I admit this cover is pretty, but I don't like the person, and I LOVE the hardback cover (right).

 vs.
Across the Universe by Beth Revis (US Paperback) (left)
 This one may also just be a casualty because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the original hardcover (right).

Too Cutesy/Fluffy
All Rachel Cohn books (*not all pictured)

Anna and the French Kiss / Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Ok, this is difficult because I do think these go perfectly with the charm of the books, but they turned me off for the longest time. I didn't read them because I thought the covers were too fluffy, and I still don't like that they pictured Anna, Lola and Cricket. (Thankfully Etienne is still in my imagination!)

Simply Don't Like
Looking For Alaska by John Green

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
She's not DUFFy to me.

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
In fairness, I haven't read this yet. But the cover is such a cheesy 90s boyband to me!

What are some covers you dislike?
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View, meant to spotlight two blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love!

This week's spotlight blogs are: Charissa Books & Underworld Love Addiction

And the question of the week is:
Activity! Dreamcast your current read.

Confession: I'm TERRIBLE at casting. I don't watch too many movies or too much television, and book characters are always so different from real people in my head. So, we'll take this with a grain of salt, yes?

I literally JUST started reading The Glimpse by Claire Merle and The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D by Nichole Bernier, so I don't know enough about either to cast it yet. So, the most recent book I read was an ARC of Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti (loved it! review up next week!).

Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti Dream Cast
> Carey Mulligan circa the An Education era - I understand she's too old for the role, but hey, I do what I want!
> Logan (Percy Jackson) seems to be that perfect mix of attractive, sweet and strong.
> Kevin McHale (Glee) has that nerdy, fashionable mix with sass and attitude Simon seemed to have.
> Drew Barrymore could pull off the corny, perky Science Teacher awesomely well.
> Hillary Swank could be all the facets of Noelle's mom really well. Tough and vulnerable all at once.
> Sarah Hyland (Modern Family) has that best friend backbone Noelle needs.

Who's your dreamcast? For which book?
Leave me your link and I'll hop by!
And of course I'd love to return a follow if you are kind enough to follow me :)

PS. Have you entered the giveaway to win my ARC of Fated by Alyson Noel? Ends 6/11

18 comments:

  1. Great cast choices this week! They are all great :D

    Happy reading and check out my follow Friday!!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2012/05/follow-and-feature-friday-33.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took an absurd amount of time to think of them haha. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Lots of bad covers! I liked how you compared ones that were different for the book too :) I haven't read the book mentioned, but I also like your casting choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I always seem to love one version and hate the other version of a book. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I thought I was the only one who didn't like people on the covers of books! I don't like the covers of the Vampire Academy series for that reason (although I love the books).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the VA series, but yes I don't like the cover! Mostly because the girl on book 1 reminds me a lot of Angelina Jolie, and that is so bothersome haha. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of full face shots on covers either. I love the original Across the Universe cover! For FF, I haven't read anything by that author so I'll check her out. Looks like a great cast that I'd love to see in a movie!

    Old follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/follow-friday-27-and-tgif-16.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo definitely check out Susane Colasanti's books, they're great contemporary reads - especially this most recent one, it's pretty amazing. Full face shots just ruin characters for me sometimes, i can't get over it when I'm reading.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. great list of covers! i dislike when they show people's faces, too, but i didn't mind so much with Lola because they totally fit (although, Cricket is a little off). Also, love the dream cast. Hillary Swank as Carrie Mulligan's mother?!?! Someone should make that happen. That would be epic. ~dixie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the 3 pictured, Lola is definitely the one closest to the picture I formed when reading. Cricket not so much (though I still think cover boy is cute haha). And thanks about the dream cast! I didn't even realize how awesome it would be to have Hillary Swank as Carey Mulligan's mom when I was doing this, but I would definitely love to see that happen sometime.
      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. I have not read it BUT I really like a lot of the people in that cast so I'd probably see it if it really were a movie.

    My follow friday. Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely chose all actors I would like to see, there were a few I bypassed because they bug me on screen haha. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. You really know it all! I agree with those dislike covers:D
    L

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping through. I agree that the covers for Anna and Lola were too fluffy. They make the books look like any other flighty romances rather than something special.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely turned me off for so long, which makes me sad because they're such amazing books! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!