Saturday, May 12, 2012

Summer Lovin' Tour recap (featuring fun swag!)

On Tuesday (May 8), the Summer Lovin' Tour with Jenny Han, Jessi Kirby and Morgan Matson came to Huntington Beach -- and I was stoked to find out I would be able to drive up! I suck and didn't take a picture of the 3 of them together, nor did I get a picture with Jenny Han (I told you, I suck), but it was still TONS of fun. I absolutely adore each of these authors: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is still one of the best, most perfect YA novels in my opinion (read my review here!), I snagged an early copy of In Honor and was reduced to tears by how wonderful it was (read my review here!), and even though I hadn't read anything by Jenny Han yet, I'd heard great things, I love her Tumblr and I'm actually in the middle of The Summer I Turned Pretty (and love it already). Safe to say, I was SUPER excited to get to meet them all in person!
Me + Morgan Matson. My hair is really long again.
Me + Jessi Kirby. She is so cute and HER ARMS. I dream of having arms like that one day.
They each started out introducing their own books and reading passages from them. Jessi read Finn's letter to Honor from In Honor (I started tearing up, and I'd already read it!); Morgan read the scene from Second Chance Summer when the family is just arriving at their old house; and Jenny read a flashback scene from Christmas from We'll Always Have Summer. It was hilarious because the store's security alarm kept going off, and Jenny seamlessly worked it in as special sound effects to her passage - so awesome.

After, they each asked each other questions and then opened it up to the audience for questions, where they'd bribe reward askers with Skittles.  As per my usual, bullet point recap!
  • Morgan is not so good at throwing.
  • They did a hilarious round of Date, Marry, Kill with the options of Voldemort, Nagini, and Dobby.
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour was NOT Morgan's first book she wrote, but it was her first published. She says the first one she wrote will not be seen.
  • Jenny's and Jessi's first published books were their first written - Jenny wrote Shug for a grad school class; and Jessi wrote Moonglass first.
  • Two of Jessi's favourite books are The Secret Life of Bees and White Oleander.
  • One of Morgan's favourites is Blue Castle.
  • Jenny's favourites are I Capture the Castle, Gone With the Wind and Time Traveler's Wife.
  • Jessi just turned in her script for her third novel, called Golden, that will be out in Spring 2013.
  • Jenny talked about her next book out, Burn For Burn, that was cowritten with Siobhan Vivian.
  • Siobhan and Jenny would write scene for scene; one would write it and send to the other, who would send back with edits and changes, and the original would read and revise again, and they'd continue until they were done with the scene.
  • Sarah Dessen was a major YA influence to both Morgan and Jessi.
  • Jenny took a second to defend Jeremiah in Book 3, and my heart loved her more when she said "they were on a break!" (Friends reference <3)
  • Jessi is big on outlining.
  • Jenny writes scenes, often out of order, by hand and in notebooks.
  • Morgan writes as she goes and doesn't often look back.
And they were troopers as well and signed every single book that everyone had. They took the time to talk to each person individually and were so, so sweet. Morgan and I discussed Europe (she recognized me from Twitter and asked about my handle) and road tripping, Jenny and I talked about our dresses (hers was SO cute, I'm so mad I didn't get a picture!), and Jessi not only recognized me from Twitter but remembered my review about In Honor! I was floored that she'd read it and remembered (that also makes me incredibly nervous haha), and told me it made her cry. In all fairness, In Honor made ME cry!

This tour definitely had some of the most fun swag I've ever seen! I realized after that I had been too busy talking with Morgan and Jenny and forgot to grab their book postcards and/or bookmarks :( There's a keychain with red boots for In Honor (Jessi even wore her own boots to the event!) and bookmarks; a pair of earbuds and personalized playlists for each of the authors' current books*; and a small bottle of sunscreen and a Chapter sampler for Burn For Burn**!

All in all, a super fun time! They just wrapped their tour tonight, but if you ever have a chance to see or meet them, don't hesitate; they're wonderful.

*For those wondering, here are the playlists!
We'll Always Have Summer: Summer Breeze - Seals and Crofts | So Long, So Long - Dashboard Confessional | Summertime - Will Smith
In Honor: Fallin' For You - Colbie Caillat | On My Mind - Donavon Frankenreiter | Sparks Fly - Taylor Swift 

Second Chance Summer: Sunburn - Owl City | Long Hot Summer - Keith Urban | California Girls - Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg

**I have an ARC of Burn For Burn and don't need the Chapter sampler...anyone want the sampler? I can pop it in the mail (US only).

7 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you live in CA. I live in VA and do you know how many authors come time VA? Like almost zero. DC is like 2 hours away and that's as good as it gets. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *come to VA, not come time VA. I must need more caffeine!

      Delete
    2. MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS COMING TO FREDERICKSBURG THIS WEEK AND SHE WROTE MY FAVORITE BOOK.... that being said.... I'm also super jealous of Ashley! This looks like SUCH a great signing!!! I seriously love me some book signings. And I seriously love me some book signing envy. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh! I'd love a sample of Burn For Burn! :) Sounds like a great event! I live in Wisconsin and we don't get any events around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous!!! SO JEALOUS!!

    Jessi Kirby is my current "I must gush to everyone I see!" author! (In Honor?? SWOON!!!! )

    Awesome swag too - just awesome!


    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like another great event for you Ashley! I really like your bullet formats btw, they are fun and easy to read! And all your lovely books and swag, very cool:) You are meeting SO many great authors these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need to read In Honor.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!