Thursday, July 12, 2012

TGIF (17): Swoon-Worthy Quotes

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads!

Quotes That Make You Swoon
What are some of the most swoon-worthy quotes you've experienced in a book?

I know I'm missing some from this list, and as soon as I go visit other TGIFs I'm totally going to think "YES THAT ONE OMG." So, my horrifically incomplete but still swoon-worthy quotes that I can recall:

***There may be spoilers! You have been warned!***


"I want you to play me like a cello."
- If I Stay, Gayle Forman
***
"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
The Fault in Our Stars, John Green

“Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”
- The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
***
"Oh, God," he whispers, reaching his hand behind my neck and bringing my lips to his. "Let's let the whole fucking world explode this time."
And we do.
- The Sky is Everywhere, Jandy Nelson

"There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."
- City of Glass, Cassandra Clare
***
He leans close and says, "It matters to me," right against my mouth, and then kisses me like he means it.
- Saving June, Hannah Harrington
***
Dear Charlotte: What are you trying to do to me?
- Being Friends With Boys, Terra Elan McVoy


“I don't deserve you. You know that, querida, don't you?"
- Perfect Chemistry, Simone Ekeles (truthfully, every time he calls her querida or mujer, my heart skipped.)
***
"I don’t think it’s going to work out. Winning...won’t help in my case," says Peeta.
"Why ever not?" says Caesar, mystified.
Peeta blushes beet red and stammers out. "Because...because...she came here with me.”
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
***
"I will love you forever; whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again..."
- The Amber Spyglass, Philip Pullman


I say, "I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick."
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, "It's late for that, Puck.”
- The Scorpio Races, Maggie Stiefvater
***
I slide my hand between our mouths, just in time. His lips are soft against my palm. I slowly, slowly remove it. “No, I don’t love Max anymore. But I don’t want to give you this broken, empty me. I want you to have me when I’m full, when I can give something back to you. I don’t have much to give right now.”
Cricket’s limbs are still, but his chest is pounding hard against my own. “But you’ll want me someday? That feeling you once had for me … that hasn’t left either?”
Our hearts beat the same wild rhythm. They’re playing the same song. “It never left,” I say.
Lola and the Boy Next Door, Stephanie Perkins
***
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated. 

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”
- Lola and the Boy Next Door, Stephanie Perkins (seriously, I think I was weeping through this entire scene.)

What quotes make you swoon?
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!

16 comments:

  1. I wanted to cry after reading the Lola quote - it's so beautiful. I think I need to reread this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those were some really good ones! I've only read about half of those so looks like I have some work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked the City of Glass quote for mine as well. :)

    A Book Obsession..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sky is Everywhere,is a naughty type of swoony quote. I like!

    Here's mine:http://fiktishuhs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these absolutely brought tears to my eyes - especially the Hunger Games quote!! Those books always make me cry like a baby.... ;)

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  6. You picked quotes from some of my most favorite books. That last one. OH GOD. I want to re-read Lola now. *SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gooooooodness, such great quotes! Fantastic choices. I need a very swoony book now. Nothing else will do. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG the cello part from If I Stay!!!!!! *swooooooooooooooon!* That was my favorite part of the whole book! You picked some really great ones!

    Take me Away...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are such great quotes! I've been meaning to read Saving June. Moving it up on my TBR if it's so swoony. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice of quotes Ash! LOVE them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the Lola quote (I cried during that scene, too, lol), but my favorite on your list HAS to be The Hunger Games (ahh, Peeta)
    Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great call on the Lola quote. That was one of my favorites. UGH. That book is so good. I haven't read Saving June but I like that one, and I just requested Friends with Boys from the library. Eek! Some of these made me sad but happy at the same time. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this list, LOVE. IT. All of it. Most especially the ones from The Sky is Everywhere (JOE freaking Fontaine!!!), The Scorpio Races, The Fault in Our Stars, Saving June and Perfect Chemistry. It's funny because I just did a TTT post about jail bait book boys I swoon for (even though I'm WAY too old) and Joe, Alex, Gus, and Jake all made my list! Check it out sometime if you get a chance:)

    Top Ten Jail Bait Book Boys

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously, girl... Okay, so I HAVE to read if I stay, because Omg "I want you to play me like a cello"!?!?!?!?!?! And I need to read the Sky Is Everywhere. And siiiigh, it would be a pleasure... god, I love Augustus. And freaking Lola. And Sean bloody Kendrick. And why has it been so long since I've read His Dark Materials?

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are some great quotes. I love the Hunger Games one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!