Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Taken by Erin Bowman

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine,
meant to spotlight an upcoming release we are eagerly awaiting!

Taken (Taken #1) by Erin Bowman
HarperTeen, 352 Pages
Expected US Release Date: April 16, 2013

There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends...and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?
---------------Goodreads summary


This may be a weird reason I want to read this, but here's my question: if all the boys simply disappear at age 18, how the hell does this town have children? There are no men, so no marriages, and no kids - right? Logically that's how it would follow suit. And I'm sure Erin Bowman addresses that in the book
and explains how it's possible, I just NEED TO KNOW. My imagination is running wild here. I've got things as extreme as an entirely new way to procreate ideas to as simple as 'they come back in a few years.'  Or maybe there are no new families! Maybe it's a dying colony! Maybe clouds make babies and the stork story is real and they bring children to doorsteps!
Tell me you've seen this Pixar short. SO CUTE.
I'm crazy, I'm aware. But I need to know the answer, and therefore I am waiting impatiently for this.

(And also because this book sounds damn good.)

What book are you waiting for impatiently?
Leave your link and I'll hop by!

7 comments:

  1. A great WoW pick! I chose Taken a few weeks back as well, it sounds amazing!

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/waiting-on-wednesday-11th-july.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Pixar short is THE CUTEST THING!!!! I feel so sorry for the cloud :'( Anyway, maybe they import the kids from somewhere outside ... or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good dystopian story. I wonder what happens to all the boys.

    My WOW: http://breathofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/waiting-on-wednesday-16-live-through.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question! I'm a huge fan of your theory too! Sounds like such an interesting read! :) I've seen it around on a few other blogs today too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, The Other Side. The stork story was so adorable and sort of sad D: Pixar shorts are the best things ever.

    Anyway, I like your choice!

    Sophie @ The Dreaming Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with your question! I really want to read this one and find out the answer, I love your theories too! I've never seen the Pixar short...it looks really cute so I'll do a little searching and watch it soon. :D

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me laugh and I'm dying to read this one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!