Monday, July 16, 2012

Tune In Tuesday: The Teen Years...in TV Shows!

Tune In Tuesday is hosted by the amazing Ginger at GReads!

For this week's Teen Years, I'm theme-ing it up again...with TV! Like every other kid, I watched a ton of TV. It's what I talked about, discussed with friends, got me through my homework: if I finish my AP Calc homework in time, I can watch this show! And sure, maybe TV rots our brains but it made me laugh when I needed it most, let me escape my life for 30 minutes or an hour, gave me new music, showed me actors to obsess over (Adam Brody <3), or made me realize that all the massive drama I was going through? Either not as bad as the Joey-Pacey-Dawson triangle, or that someone else was sharing it, too.

So! Without further ado, five TV shows of my teen years. Because this is a music meme, it limited what I could choose since I wanted to have ones with actual songs relating. There were plenty of other shows I watched*, trust me.

Dawson's Creek
Theme Song: I Don't Want To Wait by Paula Cole

No words need to be said about Dawson's Creek. We know the impact it had on our lives, even if now it's been reduced to Dawson's ugly cry face. Also, Pacey forever!


Say What? Karaoke
I LOVED THIS SHOW. I cracked up at people trying to sing all the songs and cheat the wheel. It's the only reason I know a lot of lyrics to certain songs now, and while I don't recall a theme song to the show, I will always always remember the instant karaoke death when the wheel landed on Chumbawamba's Tubthumping.

American Idol
Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This
Ahhh, the original and the best. I was there, voting for Kelly Clarkson to win, and I loved her. (Still do.) And while I can't stand the show now - it's been running about 7 seasons too long in my opinion - I will always remember rushing home from newspaper after school to watch her sing and see how Justin Guarini and Christina Christian were stacking up.


The OC
Theme Song: California by Phantom Planet
Who didn't watch this show when it first started?! You can't tell me Summer, Seth, and the train wreck that was Mischa Barton weren't hypnotizing. Good or bad, the world tuned in and made Orange County pretty famous. I later went to University in OC and laughed that I was going around to all the locations in the show. (and yeah, I love Adam Brody. He's from San Diego!)


2ge+her
Not quite the theme song, but the most memorable one: You + Me = Us (Calculus)
Truth be told, I didn't watch this show in the beginning, mostly because I was a die hard *NSYNC fan (STILL AM) and I didn't like the idea of parodying what I loved. But one day I randomly watched it and, naturally, loved it. I still reference this song today. Also: The Hardest Part of Breaking Up (Is Getting Back Your Stuff).

*Including but not limited to: TRL, Friends, One Tree Hill, Roswell, Radio Free Roscoe, Everwood, Gilmore Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Will & Grace, Charmed, Off Centre.

What TV shows did you watch in your teens?
Tell me in the comments or leave your link and I'll hop by!

PS. Miss last week's Tune In Tuesday? It's about boys!

26 comments:

  1. I picked up S1 of Dawson's at a used DVD store in Seattle for $10 and it was probably the best purchase I ever made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is this "probably"?! It is definitely the best purchase. I hope to have it one day!

      Delete
  2. I still do miss watching Dawson's creek and it's great soundtracks from time too time, sadly I haven't gotten my butt into gear and bought the TV Show collection yet. I do miss Pacey more than any of the other character. PACEY 4 EVER. I just posted 'Tune in Tuesday' post over at my blog Paranormal Goddess if you want to stop by and check it out. One of the songs are from the Dawson Creek Soundtrack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pacey was just so adorable. His character grew perfectly, and aside from that little tryst with the teacher in college, I thought he remained pretty true to who he was set up to be.

      Delete
  3. Another great idea you did for this week ;) I agree, Pacey forever! Though that theme song is horrible haha. I still think Kelly Clarkson is the best American Idol to date & I agree that the show needs to end. As for the OC... I never really watched that one. I think I was too old for it at the time? I don't know. BUT some pretty amazing music came from that show. I still listen to its soundtrack, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The theme song is pretty bad, I think I liked the original one better even though it only stuck around for like 2 episodes. AI definitely needs to end, it's just tarnishing the few great artists to come from it. And the OC music was pretty great! I feel like that was a time of great soundtracks between The OC and One Tree Hill!

      Delete
  4. I love the OC... and the theme song lol! I would always try to sing this high and mess up hahaha! I miss this show so much! LOVE Kelly Clarkson. But I haven't heard of all of the others :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    I'm following you now, I really like your blog! Have a great day!

    If you would like to check out my Tune In Tuesday, "CLICK HERE".

    Kayla @ Bengal Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like California is a pretty iconic theme show song, and it definitely got played a bunch here. and YAY for more Kelly Clarkson love! She's fantastic.

      Thank you for the follow!

      Delete
  5. I was a few years outside of my teens when The OC debuted, but I still loved it. Boy did that show crash and burn fast. It was the biggest thing ever and then cancelled after season 3! I also phone voted for Kelly Clarkson; she's still my favorite American Idol winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did crash and burn fast! It had such a huge audience in its first season, it was everywhere and super popular and then...nothing. I think it was when Marissa started going to therapy for her drugs/alcohol and met that crazy guy (can't remember his name), that was when it just got terrible. I stopped watching it midway through Season 2, actually, so I have no idea what happened in the end!

      Delete
  6. I used to love Dawson's Creek so much! Pacey forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched Dawsons Creek with my sister when I was younger. I actually started watching it off and on on Netflix recently lol. I loved the O.C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I heard it was on Netflix I seriously considered finally getting a subscription just so I could watch it haha.

      Delete
  8. Ha, you win best Tune In Tuesday post with 2ge+ther. I'll admit I watched Dawson's Creek on and off. I never watched The OC, because I couldn't buy the idea that this really old looking teen boy was poor and just moved in to this rich house.

    I was probably just watching a telenovela whenever The OC came on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah thank you! 2ge+her was a hilarious time in TV/music. I definitely understand about The OC, it was a bit strange to buy into...but I loved Adam Brody and thought he was super cute so I would believe a lot just to watch him and his humor haha.

      Delete
  9. Whenever I hear Tubthumping it makes me smile...I used to be able to sing all of the lyrics to it too. :P I was never really into Dawson's Creek and The OC. Buffy was definitely more my scene! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's impressive! I only know the chorus, and that's because of the show. And hooray Buffy! I was just at Comic-con, and Buffy is still very much alive there. I had a minor freakout when I made the Bones panel and got to see/hear David Boreanaz. He talked about Buffy and Angel for a bit!

      Delete
  10. OMG SAY WHAT KAREOKE. Also, I know my calculus. It says that you plus me equals us.

    This post made me laugh so much. I wasn't allowed to watch Dawson's Creek though. My parents were very strict and conservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You! Plus Sign! Me! Equal Sign! Us!! And you can bet I do the dance/hand motions with it, too. Have you watched any Dawson's Creek ever? It's kind of cringe-worthy now, but still so good haha.

      Delete
  11. omg! Blast from the past. Chumbawamba - I am dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i enjoyed reaching back to my former TV self! Kind of terrifying, but still.

      Delete
  12. I love your theme song idea! The only one of these shows I watched was American Idol, haha. Kelly Clarkson is the best winner, followed closely by Carrie Underwood. I can't stand the show anymore though, it has definitely gone on for way too many seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree on Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, though I loved her first album and am only ehh on the second one. But still a great artist nonetheless! I don't understand why they don't end the show. It was going too long, and after Simon and Paula left? That should have been the nail in the coffin!

      Delete
  13. I loveeeee.....DC's OST so much, plus Kelly Clarkson's A Moment Like This

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love A Moment Like This, I sang it for a performance in high school once haha. Fond memories.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!