Friday, January 6, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Poppy, 236 Pages
Released January 2, 2012

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
-----------------Goodreads.com Summary

Notable Quote (or passage, apparently)
"Those are cumulus clouds[...]they're the best ones."
"How come?"
"Because they look the way clouds are supposed to look, the way you draw them when you're a kid. Which is nice, you know? I mean, the sun never looks the way you drew it."
"Like a wheel with spokes?"
"Exactly[...]it's nice, isn't it? When something matches up like that?" He bobs his head with a satisfied smile. "Cumulus clouds. Best clouds ever."


I'm not sure I can properly describe how much I love and adore this book. How it's a near perfect Young Adult Romance novel.  How it's managed to make me smile brightly and laugh loudly and have my heart broken while reading in public, how all I want to do is find Hadley and Oliver and squeeze them tight.  Both main characters are spun and created beautifully, to the point where I feel like I know them as real people. How raw and real each one is, how they battle with the obvious and the painful and the hopeful.

Their stories are real, and even though I am in no situation like theirs, I feel as though I've experienced it all with them.  I cried with Hadley and held my breath when Oliver took her hand for the first time and felt as though I'd lost someone when they get separated at Heathrow.  I wanted to holler at Hadley's dad and dislike his bride on principal alone. My heart was yanked this way and that way and spread so thin and felt so full that I find Jennifer Smith positively, fabulously evil for doing this to me.

I can't tell you how highly I recommend this. Most book bloggers I follow who received ARCs last year were naming this as their favourite books of 2011, and I COMPLETELY see why.  Even though this is the first book I read of 2012, I have a hunch this will be my favourite of 2012, too (way to ruin the rest of my reading year, Ms. Smith!).

Oh, and, the title?  Breathtaking.  As soon as you find out why it's called that, it feels like one more little beautiful puzzle piece has fit perfectly in with the rest.

(and yes, I, too, want an Oliver.)

A resounding, highly deserved, no-holds-barred 10 THOUSAND stars of 5.

PS. Pop on over to Anna's site for her interview with the author!  After reading it, I think my adoration for Jennifer E. Smith has just runneth my cup over.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also ADORE this book! It was just like reading a bit of romantic magic. Beautifully written and also sophisticated. It's going to be tough contemporary romance to beat this year isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMIGOSH your review is awesome!! Ok, so, I'm reallyreallyreallyreally excited to see how the title ties into everything! Can't wait for a copy to come in at the library so I can read it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if I had any doubt in reading this book it just disappeared. What a beautiful review! It has me wanting to go buy this book right now! I can't wait to get ahold of this book. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your review was perfect for this book. When I finished it, I felt the exact same way. I couldn't figure out the words to describe just how perfect this book is. It is honestly a gem. I cannot wait for This is What Happy Looks Like. I think it will end up being another perfect little gem. I sure hope so. It has its work cut out for it though, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, loved this review and cannot believe I have yet to read this!!! I know what I am getting with my GC from christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this,would you mind updating your blog with more information? Because that will helpful for readers. Your blog is really cute. Visit our site how to start reflective essay. Thank you so much for give us time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this book review. It is mainly love relevant book. I am many interested about this story. I want to read full story. I also want to know about ENG to GSW this book. Are you helm me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think there has no probabilties in love. Love is a certain unexplainable thing which is unpredictable. Sometimes you love something which you do not love before. visit site to see more and I live their writing service that I've used for my papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing books utterly speedily is not easy. Yet many mature to write is due to request or incidentally. preposition checker a process. click here the author describes how easily reached it can be to write an satisfactory come to an agreement baby lp. I object everyone will be benefitted.




    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice story you share with us and i like this so much. essay rewriter generator makes this job so more easy for us and we got more post from here now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!