Friday, January 27, 2012

TGIF (3) and Follow Friday (2)!

Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View that spotlights two amazing blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love.

This week's spotlight blogs are: Fiction Ferver and Book'd Out

And the question is:
Which book genre do you avoid at all costs and why?

Hmmm...I'm not really big on memoirs or Science Fiction, but there are definitely exceptions to that distaste.  HOWEVER, (and I know this is kind of twisting the question prompt but go with it!) I absolutely cannot stand time travel!  There's just something about it that I cannot ever get into. Everything I've tried to read I just find too many loopholes or things that I don't believe would happen given the time readjustments. It's not like everything I read is real or believable so I don't quite understand my aversion to time travel, but I know it's there.  What's funny is this extends to movies and TV shows too, so it's just a life-avoidance, really!

What genre do you avoid? Leave a link in my comments and I'll come check it out! (and of course if you follow I would love to follow back!)



TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by Ginger at GReads. This week's question is:
Buy or Borrow: Where do your books that you read come from? The bookstore? The library? Do you prefer to own a book, or have it on loan?

Most of my books are from the library, and I like it that way. Libraries have been a haven for me all my life: my mother is a librarian, and they've always meant home. It's books and order and familiarity and so many worlds and universes and possibilities all in one room or under one roof - they're amazing.  So naturally, I want to support them all I can.  Obviously it's much more financially stressful to own every book you read too, so the library is a nice little cash-saver as well.

Also, I feel like having books from the library increases my odds of reading them soon. Having a deadline to return the book makes me feel like I need to read that book and do it quick, before my time runs out. No offense meant to books I buy of course!  It's just that I get that oh well, it'll be there later feeling with ones I own and they tend to get lost in my TBR stack.

Of course, if a book is one that I absolutely loved loved loved after reading a library copy, I will eventually go out and purchase my own copy. If I love it I want it available and on hand at all times, even if I rarely go back and read it again.

Happy Friday, everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Science fiction is hard to read sometimes because of all the science terms and what not. I don't read it as much either. New follower and subscriber! Check out my FF:

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start visiting my local library! I've been there a couple of times, but I should make it a regular thing. I know that we have a great selection of books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a memoirs person either. Even if I actually wanted to know more about someone famous I don't think I'd read their book. It just screams boring to me for some reason. I get your frustration about time traveling too. Way too many loopholes for me to take it seriously in a book.

    New follower!
    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read much in the way of time travel either - does my head in
    Thanks for stopping by Book'd Out earlier!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. same with science fiction, also i don't usually read nonfiction. As for time travel, honestly haven't read a book about it yet, but I'm going to try.

    love your blog!
    following you :D

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the feeling--my friends often have to shush me when we're watching certain sci-fi or time travel movies because the plot holes often present bug me and I have a tendency to point them out! My friends always have to keep telling me "it's just a movie!" haha

    thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower as well :)

    Dominique @ The Book Vault

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it bother me so much but I haven"t read a lot of books about it neither.

    thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time Travel has been something I struggle with sometimes--it can be very hard to do well.

    Shanan
    http://thebookaddictnet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower. I'm not a fan of memoirs either. Never understood why people would want to read about someone's life.

    Daniel @ Bound By Words

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, YES! I completely agree about time travel!! There's always a loophole or something that doesn't make sense!

    Thanks for the follow, now following back.

    Kristin from Growingupya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's the first time travel answer I've seen! It doesn't bother me, if done well.

    Thanks for stopping by and for the follow. Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I've heard memoirs quiet a bit. I totally understand what you're saying about time travel though! Thanks so much for stopping by! Following!

    Preet @ AWR

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!