Monday, January 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday! for the YA Skeptics...


Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!  This week's topic is:

Top 10 Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read _________
(in which I chose general YA)

I get a lot of flack for reading majority YA novels - a debate I'm unwilling to post about just yet - since I'm no longer quite in the typical "Young Adult" category (though I'm 24, that's a pretty young adult to me!).  In no particular order, the following are the books I'd recommend and dare anyone to read and not fall in love!

Dystopian/Sci-fi/Fantasy

1.  The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins
No explanation really necessary. Fantastic.

2. The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare
As I've mentioned before, Cassie Clare can do no wrong. A brilliant series.
(and I eagerly await City of Lost Souls, Book 5!)

3. Across the Universe - Beth Revis
Perhaps one of my favourite books ever.
(My review of A Million Suns, Book 2, here!)

4. The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater
Thrilling, captivating, and completely unique.
(review here!)

5. A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray
Historial fiction that toes the line of supernatural at the same time. Fascinating and original.
I loved the entire Gemma Doyle series, though Book 1 was still the best in my opinion.

Romance/Life

6. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
A bit more "mature" content than a typical YA, it's an adventure and a love story all rolled into one
crazy, exhilarating night.

7. Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins
Love love love. No words how much I adore this book.
(review here!)

8. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
Any Sarah Dessen novel would really do, but Just Listen really tugged at me. There's so much
crammed into it (family, eating disorder, love, music, life struggles, and much more) but it never
ever felt overwhelmed. It's perfect.

9. Paper Towns - John Green
Again, any John Green would do. Paper Towns is my favourite of his.
(my dedication to John Green here!)

Tough Stuff 
because YA doesn't automatically mean vapid and childish

10. If I Stay/Where She Went - Gayle Forman
Heart breaking and soul satisfying. Perhaps the closest any novels could get to perfection.

11. Love is the Higher Law - David Levithan
Though this isn't my favourite David Levithan, it tackled a tough topic of 9/11 respectfully 
and how different people struggled, experienced and dealt with the tragedy.

Middle Grade/YA
fabulous lead-ins from the Middle Grade to Young Adult

12. His Dark Materials

13. The Outsiders

(i know, I cheated with 13 - but I couldn't narrow it down!)

5 comments:

  1. Great list! The TMI series, Paper Towns and If I Stay all made my list too! I've read Across the Universe, and I plan on reading the rest of the books on your list eventually! :)

    Hollie @ Music, Books and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Paper Towns, but I loved Looking for Alaska. And don't worry about reading a lot of YA. Reading is reading! No matter what the genre. I went through a romance phase and heard the same thing all the time and it drove me crazy cause most of the people giving me a hard time hardly read at all.

    You can check out my top ten here: Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list! I've read the first 4 and then there are a few others I want to get to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about not being in the 'young adult' age group. I am 43 and I am not ashamed to read YA. I love your top 10. Great choices.
    Waiting For Wentworth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your list!! Mortal instruments are just pure awesomeness! And If I stay serie is so so good! Great pick!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!