Thursday, January 19, 2012

TGIF (2) and Follow Friday (1)!

It's been slow around these parts since my job was getting kinda crazy, but I think I've finally got a functional schedule worked out.  Reviews for Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, Close to Famous, and Matched will be coming up this week!

But enough of the housekeeping things, time for the fun! I've been seeing Follow Friday around the blogger net for awhile and thought I'd finally hop in :)

Alison Can Read & Parajunkee's View
Today's question: 
What's the craziest thing you've ever done to get your hands on any particular book?
Hmmm...you know, I don't think I've done too crazy things. The normal waiting at midnight, and I sent my mom out at the crack of dawn to get the last Harry Potter book because I was too sick to go myself.  I can't tell you how many times I've just broken down and spent money for a book because I didn't want to wait anymore in the Hold Queue at my local libraries (multiple! I always reserve books from both the County and Public libraries, just so I can get things sooner).

There was also one time I drove literally all over San Diego for a book. It was for the last Percy Jackson book haha (I really needed to know!). The public library by my house said it was there, but when I arrived nobody could find it. So I drove the 5 miles to the county library to inquire, and they told me it was available at a different branch - about 20 miles from me. And I went...only to be told it was actually reserved. It wasn't at a County library, so I looked it up at a Pubic library, and it said one was left at another branch that was about 27 miles South of my current location. And I went, and when I arrived was told it couldn't be found in the stacks and was now marked Missing.

And so, one afternoon and ~120 miles later, I still didn't have the book. I had to wait 5 more weeks for it to come up in my hold queue.

Hosted by Ginger at GReads!
Which book from the last 10 you've read would you recommend to a friend?
This is TOUGH, because of the last 10 I've read, I think a good 7 of them have been 4-5 star reads!  It's a toss up between The Scorpio Races, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, and Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (review coming soon!).  All of them are just quintessential YA fiction, brilliant and emotional.  The Scorpio Races is so original and heart wrenching.  Statistical Probability really makes you believe in connections and romance (even made this girl who doesn't believe in love at first sight question herself!).  And Amy & Roger is honestly the pinnacle of all things YA: friendship and loss and adventure and a little bit of yourself in just about everyone.

7 comments:

  1. New follower! Yay for finding another southern California girl! Looking forward to your Matched review!

    http://www.ohpaperpages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just blogging by, happy Friday!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Scorpio Races - it was so beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you are a dedicated reader . new follower here is my post for a follow back http://totallybookedsolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower here! I'm guilty of buying a book because I didn't want to wait in queue at the library for it! Here is my FF if you'd like to follow back: http://theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love Percy Jackson too!! AWESOME answer!! A new follower! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    Here is my FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished The Statistical Probablility of Love at First Sight! Oh it was so cute! Loved it!

    Thanks for following Pretty in Fiction. Following you back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!