Friday, February 24, 2012

TGIF (6) and Follow Friday (5)

Happy Friday all! Just in time for the Follow Friday Hop, I've added the Linky Follower to my sidebar :)  I know GFC going away has been a bit troublesome and I'm slowly getting my blog situated for people to be able to follow me via other avenues - far from done, but getting there! As always, please let me know if you encounter any problems.

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads! This week's discussion is about 
Required Reading
Which book from your school days do you remember reading & enjoying? Is there a book published now that you'd like to see in today's curriculum for kids?

I actually don't remember many required readings...I read so much that the books blurred between what was required and what I read for fun. However, these are the ones I remember discussing in class and loving:

Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson (EVIL to make kids read this!)
The Outsiders - SE Hinton (STILL a favourite)
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger
The Taming of the Shrew - Shakespeare

And I'd love for curriculum to add in these:
Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (so much adventure!)
the perks of being a wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
It's Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini
The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins

(ok, I know some/most of these push the limits of being appropriate, but I really do think these have some important elements that would benefit from classroom discussion.)

What Required Reading did you like? What would you like to see added to children's book lists? 
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View, meant to spotlight two blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love!

This week's spotlight blogs are: ezine of a random girl & Oh! For the Love of Books

And the question of the week is:
Activity!!! Take a picture or describe where you love to read the most…

Truthfully, I will read just about anywhere, at any time, no matter what. I don't really have favourites because as long as I can hold a book, I'm good. (Except in a car, I get car sick.)  But there are 4 places I seek out to read usually:

1) My bed (sorry for the crappy phone pic!) - it's comfy and big enough where I can roll and shift around to get comfortable. Plus, I have 4 pillows and a pillow pet!
2) The beach - this was taken in Encinitas, which is one of my favourite places. If I could just lay in the sand reading all day, I'd be a happy girl.
3) My couch (again, crappy phone pic, sorry!) - I always sit in one spot (like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory!) because it's the best location to me. A good distance from the TV, the bottom pops out into a recliner, it's soft and squishy and I can add pillows if I want to angle towards anything. Perfection!
4) And not pictured, I read at coffee shops a lot. Mostly my local Coffee Bean since all the baristas know me and don't mind if I plop into one of their comfy chairs without buying anything.



Where do you like to read? Leave me your link and I'll hop by!
And of course I'd love to return a follow if you are kind enough to follow me :)

19 comments:

  1. Following. I love reading at the beach. It is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always in danger of just falling asleep while reading on the beach since I get so relaxed haha. Have to make sure I'm propped up carefully enough to ensure staying awake!

      Thanks for following (and commenting!), I've been a long-time follower of yours :)

      Delete
  2. Hey! 'Ashna' loves books too ;)
    I also think Harry Potter should be *highly* recommended for kids! That's my TGIF response (first timer!) http://bookwormreviews9.blogspot.in/2012/02/tgif-greads-1.html

    Liked your blog! I guess we have some books in common, hence I'm following :)

    Good day to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and oh! Though I've not participated in the Follow Friday feature, I love curling up in the soft bed, a sunny spot in the neighborhood park, or by the window with sunlight pouring in! Warm and comfy :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I feel like HP was the universal answer (more evidence it should be added to curriculum!). And yes, anywhere with the sun shining down on you (not sweltering, but a nice little heat) is a comfortable reading environment :)

      Delete
  3. Harry Potter seems to be a very popular answer today. *grin* But it really would be cool if people who usually do not read much had the "excuse" to start it because of school. Especially cause I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the novel once they got past the first three pages. *grin*

    Patricia // My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP does seem to be the universal answer today - more reason in my opinion to make it part of the curriculum!

      Delete
  4. Love your pictures! If I could read on the beach every day, I would :) As it is, I'm a couch reader.

    Required reading - hmmmm...I had a TON of that in school. I'd make sure Island of the Blue Dolphins was on the elementary list and anything by Dickens was on the high school list (A Tale of Two Cities is one of my most favorite books).

    Followed you via Linky and GFC!

    Here's our FF

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, Island of the Blue Dolphins was a great book! I don't think I was required to read it when I was little, but my mom picked it up. And can you believe I've never read any Dickens? (Should I not admit that when I run a book blog? hmmm..) I'm planning to change that as soon as possible though!

      Thanks for the comment and follow, I am following back :)

      Delete
  5. I had a hard time remembering what I'd read for school too. Those books never caught my attention. And I have hunger games as one of my picks for today. Glad I'm not alone in my crazy thinking.

    Your couch does look nice and cozy for reading.

    http://mandiebaxter.blogspot.com/2012/02/tgif-20.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been happily surprised to see a lot of people choosing Hunger Games - there really is some educational value to the novel! I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

      Thanks for commenting, I've just responded to your TGIF!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I just did the TGIF question too! If I was in your class I would only have to read Perks of Being A Wallflower, and that has been on my tbr list for forever! Great selections though! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I hope you get to read Perks soon! It's such a fantastic book. I read it years ago and it still remains in my head; though I'm definitely going to re-read it again soon to see if I find more meaning in it since I'm "older and wiser" (or something like that haha).

      Thanks for commenting, I've just left one on yours! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  7. harry potter as required reading! everyone would actually read! lol. and i loved the outsiders!

    great choices.

    and perks was on mine too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading at the beach - of course! I'm under a fig tree.
    Following via FF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a bed reader too!! I live so close to the beach (several blocks away) but I rarely go there. I think I will make more of an effort this year. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read The Outsiders in school too! I liked it a lot, not sure why I didn’t remember to put it on my TGIF! I also loved The Hunger Games and can definitely see it becoming a part of school curriculum. Great response!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you also recommended It's Kind of a Funny Story! I really enjoyed that book; it came as a total surprise to me how much I ended up loving it. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally have to have Harry Potter and The Hunger Games in the school curriculum! And I need to go read at the beach ASAP! Luckily I'm going on a cruise this summer, so hopefully I'll get to do some of that (although with my son around, who knows?)!

    Andrea (Old Follower) ;)
    My FF/TGIF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!