Monday, February 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Break Your Heart

Happy Valentine's Day!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Today's topic is:

Top Ten (Eight) Books
That Broke Your Heart A Little

I couldn't think of 10 books that left me broken hearted, so here are my 8 picks!  If it's not obvious, there are ***SPOILERS AHEAD!***  Don't read the writing if you don't want to know, just enjoy the cover pictures :)

1. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
A full disclaimer, I loved this entire series. I would not change a thing to any of the books, and I am glad how it ended.  BUT...it makes this list for two reasons: 1) Prim.  I mean, duh. and 2) while I am in full support of Katniss and Peeta making it work in the end ("Real or Not Real" makes my heart melt), I have to admit that a small part of me held hope she would be with Gale.  There was such a comfort and family there already that it was...I mean, a minuscule part of my heart died when it was revealed he developed those bombs.

2. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
With the same disclaimer as above, my reason is obvious: Rue. *sob*

3. A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks
I read this book far before it ever became a movie (which also made me cry, because I am a woman.) and I was bawling my eyes out the entire time. It's a happy cry since they have a full love together, but...no! Jamie! Why!
(Fun fact: I was friends with Nicholas Sparks' nephew in high school. He was crap at English class/writing.)

4. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
Even though I was lukewarm on the novel (read my review here!), I can't deny that I was still a bit heartbroken at the end. I get why it ended the way it did, but I loved Kent so much I just wanted him to be her Hero forever.

5. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
I think we all know. If you've read this, you know. If you haven't read it, please do - I can't stand time travel, but this is one of the only exceptions. I wept. It's just...heartbreaking and sweet and so emotional and can I have a Henry?

6. The Amber Spyglass - Phillip Pullman
Similar to Mockingjay, I absolutely loved this series as well. His Dark Materials was probably my first foray into reading books like this, and my 8-year-old heart was hooked. I devoured all three books, I wanted a daemon/Pan of my own, I was so in love with Will Parry (I'm fairly certain he was my first literary crush, actually. Aside from Laurie from Little Women).  And I would not change anything from this trilogy. And while I get the ending, I understand and know...oh. I can't even. Just typing this knowing that Will and Lyra have to stay in their own realms and close the window because of Dust...it makes my heart break all over again.

7. Sweet Valley Confidential - Francine Pascal
This is different from all the others because what breaks my heart is the sheer fact this damn book EXISTS.  I COULD NOT STAND this book. I was obsessed with Sweet Valley when I was younger: kids, twins, high, university - name it, I read it. I still liken myself to Elizabeth Wakefield to this day, and I wanted a Todd Wilkins with all my 10-year-old heart.  So when I heard a new novel was coming out about 10-year-in-the-future, I couldn't wait.  I wanted to know who finally got together, what everyone was doing!  And then I read it, and I'm fairly certain it just shattered my world. The most bothersome thing to me was that everything that was happening seemed to simply be for shock value.  None of the story lines particularly seemed plausible or even likely - I'd get it if characters were seeming to lead to where they end up in Confidential, but I just don't think so.  Winston an asshole? Todd having an affair with Jessica? Elizabeth and Jessica not speaking for so long? Steven gay...with Aaron?! Bruce being worthy of Elizabeth?!?  I reject this novel on every level, with every fiber of my being. It does not exist in the Sweet Valley realm.


8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling
We all know why. I sobbed throughout this entire book. I mean, even the earlier ones broke my heart too (Sirius! Dumbledore!), but this one was just...oh. It started with Hedwig and just went downhill from there. Dobby! Fred! ARGHHHH.




What books broke your heart? Leave your link in my comments and I'll come check it out!

10 comments:

  1. So many of these made my list too! A Walk To Remember was just so sad, I haven't watched the movie yet because I know I'll end up bawling my eyes out then too!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of good things about The Time Traveler's Wife, but I don't think I can take another heartbreaker book right now. Harry Potter and Mockingjay made my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... WHHHHAAAAATTTT? Who would do that to Sweet Valley?! Todd would NEVER have an affair! My heart is breaking just reading this. Also, I'm now intrigued to read the rest of the His Dark Materials series. I've only made it through the Golden Compass. Great list... despite it breaking my heart over Sweet Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mockingjay and Harry Potter are everywhere and they are on my list too. I need to read The Time Travelers Wife one day. I can't believe I forgot about The Amber Spyglass.

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-10-tuesdays-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deathly Hallows made my TTT list week as well. I haven't brought myself to read Sweet Valley Confidential; from the spoilers I read, I just don't want to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Mockingjay and Hunger Games were so emotional! I cried in both :P Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about The Time Traveler's Wife. I loved the book, but, oh the heartbreaking ending. Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm here sharing some Love A thon love!! The last few Harry Potter movies and definitely A Walk to Remember made me cry. I'm an author and my husband laughs at me when I'm writing something sad and I sit at my computer and cry! You have a really cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added Nicholas Sparks twice on my list. And I'm seeing Mockingjay on so many lists. I'm tempted to go back and add it to mind the more I think about it, I don't even know why I didn't in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!