Friday, March 9, 2012

Follow Friday (7)

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee's View, meant to spotlight two blogs and allows bloggers to link up and meet other fabulous bookish friends and share the Following love!

This week's spotlight blogs are: Novel Days & Hesperia Loves Books!

And the question of the week is:
Have you ever looked at book’s cover and thought, This is going to horrible? But, was instead pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.

I'm going to be honest here: I judge a book by it's cover. There's a very good chance I won't even try to read a book if I don't like the cover; therefore, I can't really think of one that I didn't like and then read.  (I know, I feel horrible about this.)  

Any books I've read don't have covers that I think are horrible/terrible - just some annoyances.

The Duff - Kody Keplinger
As soon as I found out what "duff" stood for, I knew I'd have to read it since it hit a very personal, almost-uncomfortably close insecurity of mine. But when I saw the cover, I was immediately annoyed: first of all, I can't stand the font choice or how it's set up because I didn't see the big picture of it for a good few seconds. But mostly? That girl on the cover doesn't look very "Duffy" to me!  In any case, I got over it and read it and quite liked it (moderately...). The cover is forgivable, but definitely not something I'm crazy about.

But the real answer to the question...I adore John Green's books. I do. I'm completely on the John Green fan-train, Nerdfighteria, DFTBA, I'M SO THERE.  BUT! I really, really don't like the covers to his novels! Paper Towns sort of redeemed itself when the re-released paperback had the map with the pin on it, and I admire the creativity in the original Abundance of Katherines cover (that formula!) - but I'm still not crazy about any of them and I don't find them to reflect on the amazing content and worlds within.


Don't hate me, Nerdfighters! He's still absolutely brilliant in every way.

What covers put you off? Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!
And if you follow, I'd be more than happy to return it :)

(PS. Can any commenters let me know if there is a security captcha? There shouldn't be!)

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the John Green covers - they are very bland (although I don't mind the Will Grayson one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with you more! I'm used to seeing TFiOS' cover and I'm glad it gives kind of... happy feelings. But still.Not the greatest cover out there.

    Here's my FF. ♥

    PS. Captcha is still here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more about "Duff." That cover does not at all reflect the title of the book. I'd expect to see a girl by herself, obscured, or a shadow of a girl...or something! I don't know.

    Also, I have never read any John Green, but would like to. :)

    Here be my FF ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The John Green covers don't bother me so much, but The Duff, yeah. As a thirty something mom I would be a little embarrassed to be caught reading a book with that cover. And I actually do want to read it, because I hear it is an awesome book! Old follower, or course:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like John Green's covers! I'm generally not a fan of real people on book covers, so I like that they (for the most part) are a little more abstract. But don't worry, there's no judging in nerdfighteria. :P

    And I really hope you get a chance to read something by Jennifer Echols soon! I adore her, so obviously I can't recommend her enough. :)

    Thanks for stopping by! I'm an old follower.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I agree with you with The DUFF, although I really liked the book :) And I haven't read anything by John Green, but it's obviously one of my highest things on my to-do list :)

    New follower!
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like about 50% of the John Green covers. The more I look at The Fault In Our Stars the more I like it. I also like Alaska & Wil Grayson, but I dislike BOTH Katherines and Papertowns covers.

    My follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like some of the John Green covers, but not all. I really like the original cover of An Abundance of Katherines, with the formula, but I have the other one with all the girls on the front. However, when I was reading it I had an idea of some kind of epic twist, which didn't happen and kinda made me sad, but the cover with all the girls on the bottom really would have been AWESOME if my idea had panned out. I don't want to say what my idea was here, because of spoilers, but if you want to talk about it you can DM me on Twitter! (@OverstuffedBook)

    Happy Friday and DFTBA! My FF/TGIF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!