Thursday, March 22, 2012

TGIF (9)

*This is a scheduled post as I'll be on "staycation" in Downtown San Diego celebrating my 25th birthday! I may update it to include the Follow Friday Hop when I return late Saturday, but feel free to leave your Friday meme links in my comments! I'll still come by!

TGIF is hosted by Ginger at Greads! This week's discussion is about
Bookish Trends
What are some bookish trends you're noticing in the literary world today? Is there a particular trend you'd like to see more of?

I've seen a few posts around the book blogosphere about this, but the trend I'm seeing lately is Military-centric books. Whether it's losing a family member to the war, someone returning from it, the character returning...something to do with the War.

Examples!
In Honor - Jessi Kirby (Expected US Release: May 8)
Something Like Normal - Trish Doller (Expected US Release: June 19)
While He Was Away - Karen Schreck (Expected US Release: May 1)
If I Lie - Corrine Jackson (Expected US Release: August 28)
The Things A Brother Knows - Dana Reinhardt (Released: September 14, 2010)

I like this trend because I do think it is an important topic of today's culture: soldiers are leaving, preparing to leave, or returning all the time, and life alters for everyone involved. A lot of people don't understand how tough it is for everyone involved: loved ones preparing to go months without their husbands/fathers/brothers/friends; soldiers having to reacclimatize to America, being with family again and friends; families to help and be there when soldiers have seen things that alter them; and all the difficulties that can come with this (PTSD, being the main one).

But this trend makes me nervous to, on an entirely personal level. I grew up a Navy BRAT - my entire life has been military-centric. I have friends in the military, I had friends who were sent away to war, I still have friends who are deployed. I have dealt with friends returning from war and seen some of the struggles. I've also unfortunately lost some very amazing people in my life to the war.  All these books are a horrible reminder of some of the lesser bright things in my life, or they're nervewracking because I'm so afraid it will paint a negative picture. I know on most levels they'll be fine (better than fine, based on the reviews I've seen of Something Like Normal and If I Lie!), but it still scares me every time I see a new one pop up.

As for a trend I'd like to see more of...I'm really liking the strong female characters we've had of late. Girls that can kick ass and tell a boy to bite it, even if she's confused or struggling or lost.

What trends are you noticing? Do you want to see more?
Leave me your link and I'll come check it out!


PS. Have you entered my Birthday giveaway here yet?
Win one book below OR any April release! Two winners!
ends April 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!