Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Gilt by Katherine Longshore, Croak by Gina Damico

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine

meant to spotlight an upcoming release we are eagerly awaiting!

Gilt by Katherine Longshore
Viking Juvenile, 398 Pages
Expected US Release Date: May 15, 2012


In the Tudor age, ambition, power and charismatic allure are essential and Catherine Howard has plenty of all three. Not to mention her loyal best friend, Kitty Tylney, to help cover her tracks. Kitty, the abandoned youngest daughter of minor aristocracy, owes everything to Cat – where she is, what she is, even who she is. Friend, flirt, and self-proclaimed Queen of Misrule, Cat reigns supreme in a loyal court of girls under the none-too-watchful eye of the Dowager Duchess of Norfolk.

When Cat worms her way into the heart of Henry VIII and becomes Queen of England, Kitty is thrown into the intoxicating Tudor Court. It’s a world of glittering jewels and elegant costumes, of gossip and deception. As the Queen’s right-hand-woman, Kitty goes from the girl nobody noticed to being caught between two men – the object of her affection and the object of her desire.

But the atmosphere of the court turns from dazzling to deadly, and Kitty is forced to learn the difference between trust and loyalty, love and lust, secrets and treason. And to accept the consequences when some lessons are learned too late.
--------------------Goodreads summary


Oh my God. This book sounds...delicious. I adore historical fiction, and this sounds like it's done so right. Massive intrigue, sizzling romance, possible treason, with royalty?!  I cannot wait.  CANNOT WAIT.

(Also? Love the font of the title!)


Croak by Gina Damico
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Graphia, 311 Pages
Expected US Release Date: March 20, 2012


Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby has sucker-punched her last classmate. Fed up with her punkish, wild behavior, her parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape. But Uncle Mort’s true occupation is much dirtier than that of shoveling manure.

He’s a Grim Reaper. And he’s going to teach her the family business.

Lex quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated entirely by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. Along with her infuriating yet intriguing partner Driggs and a rockstar crew of fellow Grim apprentices, Lex is soon zapping her Targets like a natural born Killer.

Yet her innate ability morphs into an unchecked desire for justice—or is it vengeance?—whenever she’s forced to Kill a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again. So when people start to die—that is, people who aren’t supposed to be dying, people who have committed grievous crimes against the innocent—Lex’s curiosity is piqued. Her obsession grows as the bodies pile up, and a troubling question begins to swirl through her mind: if she succeeds in tracking down the murderer, will she stop the carnage—or will she ditch Croak and join in?
-----------------Goodreads summary


Doesn't this sound so interesting? Original and I love the idea of a girl being a bit rebellious and devilish. Besides, who doesn't want to know more about the business of the Grim Reaper?! And I don't know if I just have a sick humor, but I feel like I detect a little funniness in the summary? Maybe? I hope, because it feels like it could lend a lot of humor to the ideas of death, justice and vengeance.

What book are you waiting for? 
Leave your link in the comments and I'll come check it out!

14 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read GILT, especially since I really need/want to read more historical books and this is the perfect opportunity to start it. :D Great picks!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilt does sound like the perfect historical fiction book to pick up in the genre - how could you ever go wrong with royalty??

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I'm really looking forward to Gilt as well :)

    Here's my WOW pick.

    Kat
    Wit and Sin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Gilt seems to be a super popular pick, I wish it would just release tomorrow haha.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes and yes. Croak has had my attention for awhile - sounds really good!!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep seeing Croak on WoWs, I'm super excited for it! Surprisingly haven't seen many reviews though, but I know that'll change soon enough.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I'm delighted that you chose GILT as one of your WoW picks today, Ashley! And I agree about CROAK. I'm dying to read that one, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks, both of these are in high demand on our blog. Hope they are worth the wait!



    ~Pixie
    our WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Definitely seems like it, a friend had an ARC of Gilt and said it's completely worth the wait.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. I've seen CROAK around and it seems like a fun read! I think I might pick it up in summer. :)

    Here's my WoW. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem fun! Working for the grim reaper? There are so many possibilities to go with it!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Both of these books look so awesome! Gilt just sounds decadent (LOVE that cover) and Croak sounds like fun! Awesome picks Ashley:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gilt sounds SO fun, I'm adding it to my future WoW list. :) And I just want to say, their names are Cat and Kitty? Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!