Thursday, March 1, 2012

Some bookish things...

1. If you haven't noticed, there have been a lack of reviews this week (read: 0) - I apologize for that, but the past week and a half have been kinda crazy with my personal life and with work. I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like, and I haven't finished a book in almost a week! That's unheard of!  In any case, I've decided to take the rest of the week to get my life together and finish up the books I'm in, and next week I'll be back to regular reviewing :)

2. The amount of support I've been getting here is...absolutely insane.  In the best way possible. I cannot tell you how honored I feel to be a new part of the book blogging community, and it still freaks me out that there are ~130 or so people who have willingly subjected themselves to my ramblings and opinions on a regular basis. I appreciate it more than I could ever say, and rest assured that I will be hosting a giveaway sometime this month in accordance with my actual birthday to give back a little bit. If I end up with 100 GFC followers by the time I turn 25 (March 19, if anyone's keeping track), I'll up the ante!

2. If you haven't heard yet, a book-related short film won an Academy Award! It's called The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, and it's absolutely wonderful and whimsical and sweet. Have you seen it? If not, you should. (You can see it here for free! And it's only 15 minutes long.)  There's also an interactive app that ties into the film, but I haven't quite committed to purchasing it yet. If you have, is it as touching as the film?


3. Jan Berenstain, one of the co-authors to the Berenstain Bears husband/wife team, passed away :( Likewise to most, I grew up with the Berenstain Bears (I even call my brother "Brother Bear!") and it saddens me. She and her husband have changed children's literature and evolved it into something wonderful.
My brother reading me Berenstain Bears when we were young.
4. I know it seems a bit early, but is anyone going to ALA Annual in June at Anaheim this year? I know BEA is just before it (so jealous!) and it seems like most people will be going to that. I can't afford to go to NY, but Anaheim is only an hour from me - plus, my mom goes for her work (she's a library cataloger at a local university) and I thought I'd tag along and see if I can catch any panels. I'd love to meet up with other Book Bloggers if anyone is going!

5. Any other readers out there a bit of a Polish-aholic? I'm a teensy bit...and by teensy, I mean my nail polish collection has gotten out of control.  I had to build a small drawer to house all of my bottles. I refuse to count, but I know I'm upwards of the 80s...

So what did that have to do with books? The Hunger Games-inspired nail polish collection, of course!  Officially it's called the Capital Colours by China Glaze.

That was screen-capped direct from the China Glaze website, though I highly suggest Googling swatches to see what they'll actually look like (this has been my go-to one).  They're set to be in-stores early March, and my Sally's Beauty had them out early! I swung in-store and restrained myself to only buying 4...for now.

I wanted to put them on my actual nails to show what they look like on, but I just re-did my polish last night (tweeted here) and didn't want to erase them yet. Just trust me that they're really pretty! Ironically, "Riveting" (the orange one...I think it's supposed to be based on Katniss being 'the girl on fire') is seriously riveting in real life. I can't stop looking at the swatch I did on a nail wheel.

Anyway. Anyone else looking forward to this collection? Have any?

6. Not really book related (though I guess we can stretch it to the Gossip Girl series), but throwing this picture on here to close out the post since I just found it while searching for that one above of my brother and I, and I find this picture hilarious because it was a ridiculous day:
Chace Crawford
allllllll the way back in 2007!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you about being swamped with work and personal life; there must be something in the air! I have so many memories about the Berenstein Bears and am really sad that Jan died. Also, I have a serious nail polish problem - I'm pretty sure that I own 4 bottles of the same color. I really want to get some of the Hunger Games inspired nail polish, especially to wear when I go see the movie! Eep, so excited! :) Hopefully work and the real world settles down for you so you can get back to reading; I know I miss it when I get busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorting through all my polish today and I'm fairly certain I have 82348 of the same reds. I did find the same golds, too! It's crazy how they all just pile up -- and I'm an idiot, because I didn't even think of wearing the polish to see the movie! Definitely going to now haha.

      Thanks about life/work, I hope it settles down soon because I quite miss reading :(

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!