Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony & Rodrigo Corral

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony & Rodrigo Corral
Razorbill, 272 Pages
US Release: February 2, 2012

Challenge: Local Library Challenge

After her mother died, Glory retreated into herself and her music. Her single father raised her as a piano prodigy, with a rigid schedule and the goal of playing sold-out shows across the globe. Now, as a teenager, Glory has disappeared. As readers flash back to the events leading up to her disappearance, they see a girl on the precipice of disaster.
--------------------------Goodreads summary

Notable Quote Memorable Picture
This actually wasn't the one I wanted to post, but the pages most memorable to me weren't on the Pinterest page and I figured it might be some infringement if I took a picture of the pages.
(This one is still beautiful, of course.)

I was weary at first, because it is entirely told in a picture/scrapbook-style and I mean...all you can think is a picture book, you know?  But it really is an experience, and a beautiful one.

The story itself is fairly common and predictable: a forbidden love between a piano prodigy and a hispanic boy. One watched like a hawk by her manager father, the other bullied relentlessly and finds solace in his art.  You watch their lives begin, you see their relationship begin and blossom and fulfill and struggle. You see the tangle, the debates, the passion.

It really is an amazing experience to go through this book.  Each picture is constructed masterfully, filled with such a story in each page.  There's real emotion, real thought -- and there was definitely a page or two that made my breath catch.  It's almost amazing how caught up you can get in it.

There isn't much to tell, because it's something you need to read yourself.  It was fun and exciting and so unique.  The low rating is simply because I felt like the story itself lacked; but the expression of it was phenomenal.

3.5 Stars / 5

6 comments:

  1. Love your review. Never heard about this book. Ahh love the cover. So sweet;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe I'm actually not a big fan of the cover? I felt like there were so many better images within the book that could convey it better! But that does mean that I think you'll love the book even more :) Definitely check it out if you can, it's a fun experience flipping through.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this book but I like the cover it's kind of sweet :)
    Nice review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you see it somewhere or get a chance to check it out, definitely do! It's a fun experience flipping through and "reading" as you look at the pictures. And it is a really sweet book :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Aww... you weren't really a big fan of the cover:( But doesn't matter. The cover doesn't judge a book;) I've seriously been dying to read this book but I never find it in any bookstore(which I probably never will since there's not that big of a choice of books here in Malaysia). But great review, btw! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the cover until I read the book haha! I just thought there were so many other pages that could have been a great cover -- but it's still a great read no matter what. Are you entered in my giveaway? If so and you're picked the winner for the "reviewed books" prize, I'll make an exception for you so you can pick this one! It's on The Book Depository and ships to Malaysia :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!