Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Play Hooky With

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is:

Top Ten Books
I'd Play Hooky With

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
Somehow I don't think this is surprising. Or original.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Even though I think Dash & Lily have usurped the title for favourite Cohn&Levithan book, Nick & Norah is still one that I just pick up all the time. When I first read this book, it spoke so much to me that it brings me back to a really great time in my life.

The Classics
Specifically: Little Women, Pride & Prejudice, and The Outsiders
These are books that mean the world to me, that ignited my passion in reading and writing. Every read brings new facets and discoveries.

His Dark Materials series - Philip Pullman
This series pops up a lot on my lists because I just love it so much. It skirts the line of MG/YA, and the story is just so original and breathtaking. I read this entire series over the duration of my childhood (started at age 8), and it made such an impression. This is what world-building can be.

Let It Snow - John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle
I seldom talk about it on here (since this blog was started in January), but I am obsessed with Christmas novels. I adore the Season and devour all the books (I think I've read every single Debbie Macomber Christmas novel) that have to do with it -- so naturally, I love this one. All the stories are so much fun and touching in their own way. I keep it beside my bed, because sometimes I just need to have a nice Holiday story...even if it's June.

Natural Born Charmer - Susan Elizabeth Phillips
An adult romance book (what?!), but I fell in love with this author because of this book. Her books all have a certain formula, but that's sometimes what we love (I'm lookin' at you, Nicholas Sparks); and I think this one is perfection. It's cute and funny and sexy, and it's just the right amount of intrigue, stress and happy ending.

Graffiti Moon - Cath Crowley
This makes the list because I actually did play hooky with this -- the day it came in the mail, I totally left work early so I could go home and read it. I adore this book (review here!) and I will happily skip anything to spend the night romping around Australia with Ed and Lucy.

Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
Like the Hunger Games, I don't think this is surprising or needs explanation.

the sky is everywhere - Jandy Nelson
(review here!)
This book makes me cry and fills my heart with such an abundance of love and emotion that I actually don't re-read it often, but I would damn sure play hooky with it any moment of any day.

Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
This was the first Sarah Dessen novel I read, and it is still my favourite (Along For the Ride and What Happened To Goodbye are superclose seconds). I'm fairly certain it's in the running to be THE most perfect Contemporary YA novel. The boy, the music integration, the lessons, the family, the tough stuff, the resolution...it's perfection, and I love reliving it.

What books would you play hooky with?
Leave your link in the comments and I'll hop by!

PS. Have you entered my Birthday giveaway yet?
Win an April release OR a book of your choice! Two winners!

21 comments:

  1. Okay, why haven't I read Let It Snow yet?! Most Sarah Dessen books are pretty much 'leave work early and read right through' aren't they, just great contemporary novels.

    Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, you must read Let It Snow! It's so sweet and good and I just wish I lived in the pages haha. And yep, Sarah Dessen is a contemporary YA queen.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. LOve your list, great choices:) I haven`t read Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist but I seen the movie. Love that one:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The movie was really great (I happen to love both Michael Cera and Kat Dennings), but please do read the book! I think it's better :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely list, I keep having to kick myself for leaving The Hunger Games out of My TTT! I really need to pick up Graffiti Moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Hunger Games should just automatically be assumed on everyone's list haha. And yes, please do pick up Graffiti Moon soon, it's so good!

      Delete
  4. I love this list! I can't wait to read Graffiti Moon, and I want to read Nick&Norah too! I didn't include The Sky is Everywhere on my list, but I definitely agree with what you say about it!

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waffling about including The Sky is Everywhere since it's not one I return to that often, but there are certain times I just need to read it since there's so much beauty! And I hope you read Graffiti Moon and Nick&Norah soon, they're both so good!

      Delete
  5. The Hunger Games and Harry Potter were on my list too! I haven't read many of the others, but I want to read The Sky is Everywhere. Contemporary isn't really my thing, but I've heard brilliant things so I might give it a go.

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do give The Sky is Everywhere a chance! It's a beautiful read, and I think it could win you over to contemporary haha. If/when you do, let me know your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I have The Hunger Games and Harry Potter on mine too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think HG and HP are just universal hooky books. Can we just have a set HG week and HP week where we all get to take off work/school to read them??

      Delete
  7. Ahhh I love your list! We have a few overlaps, too. The Sky Is Everywhere was on my list, too. Something about it just says Spring to me. I also had Sarah Dessen on my list. I picked Along for the Ride, but Just Listen is also wonderful. And of course, you can't go wrong with Harry Potter.
    Anyway, great list, Ashley! If you like Christmas books, you should really check out Dash and Lily's Book of Dares. It takes place in NYC at Christmas and is super fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that The Sky Is Everywhere seems so Spring-y! I think it's that rain scene (I think my heart skips just thinking about that scene!) plus the cover being a bright sky with clouds...such a wonderful book! Along For the Ride is a great Sarah Dessen book, it was tough to pick only one for my list haha.

      And YES, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dash & Lily! I read it last year during the Christmas season and it was just perfection all over the place.

      Delete
  8. Awesome picks! Some books are just so worth playing hooky for! And Graffiti Moon is absolutely fantastic.

    ~Nikki (Imaginative Adventure)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm about to comment on your post, you have so many great picks! And Graffiti Moon really is so fantastic, I just want to hang out with them haha.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good List!! Just Listen was my first Sarah Dessen book too! I put HP on my list also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Listen is SO SO good! I haven't read it in awhile, doing this TTT though makes me want to re-read it right now.

      I loved your list, too!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a wonderful day <3
***This blog should NEVER have a security captcha - please let me know if you encounter it and I will fix ASAP. Thank you!